Search Unity

1. Good news ✨ We have more Unite Now videos available for you to watch on-demand! Come check them out and ask our experts any questions!
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone actually using Assembly Definitions?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by CDF, Jul 11, 2018.

1. CDF

CDF

Just wondering if anyone (mostly asset devs) have started using asmdef's for their scripts?

I have yet to come across an asset, outside of Unity, that have started using these.
    Which can be frustrating, because I have to add them myself to get the compile time down.
    From my understanding it's all or nothing when it comes to asmdef's.

Personally I think they're great... when used correctly.

2. elbows

elbows

I think I've seen some assets bother with this but overall I've been pretty upset by the relatively low level of attention this feature has received. There are many things I have loved on the store, but overall attitudes towards keeping assets up-to-date, supported, and asset store publishers actually being enthusiastic towards and taking advantage of the evolving Unity landscape are sadly not often on that list.

To be honest, at this point I think I pin most of my hopes on compilation time/dll separation on the next big change to the way assets may be handled one day - ie through the package manager system, where if I am not mistaken the compilation stuff will be handled without people needing to even think of implementing asmdefs.

3. passerbycmc

passerbycmc

A lot of people still want to maintain compatibility with 5.x so I think it will take a while till you see newer features used a lot in asset store packages.
    At work we heavily use the asmDefs.

unityunity