Search Unity

Anybody want to help the "Noob" to Game Design ?

Discussion in 'Game Design' started by TinyIncognegroT, Jun 21, 2018.

1. TinyIncognegroT

TinyIncognegroT

Sup, I'm new to the forum and I'm new to Game Design. I have a technical question... I'm starting online classes @ Lindenwood University for my Bachelor's in Game Design. I've always played and beaten many and had my own ideas for video games, which is why I chose this major. Only thing is, I've never actually designed a video game or owned equipment to do it. I have experience with computers so I have a good concept of this. I just want to know if my laptop is capable of running the programs I'll need for this class.

I just bought a Dell Studio XPS 1640. Here are the specs...
    Processor Type
    Intel Core 2 Duo P8400
    Processor Speed
    2.26GHz
    Memory
    4GB
    Storage Type
    HDD (Hard Disk Drive)
    Hard Drive Capacity
    500GB
    Operating System
    Windows 10
    Operating System Edition
    Professional

... I've been communicating with my instructor about the programs I'll need on this computer to complete my classwork. This is what he told me...
    "As the program moves on we will be more software-based so you will need access to several different software applications most of which are free, have a free alternative, or will be free with your student email. The couple I can think of right now that you will have to pay for is access to the Adobe software suite and game maker.

While most of the things that we use in the program can be run on either a Mac or a PC, we do use 3dsmax which only runs on Windows. Now you can get parallels or boot camp for Mac to run Windows if you want to go that route. The other programs he will be using include but are not limited to sculptris, Photoshop, mudbox or zbrush, 3dsmax, the unreal game engine, unity game engine, and Game maker from yoyo games. There are other applications you might end up using such as dance studio or adobe fuse or crazybump or possibly other ones that may come up in your classes. Whenever possible we try to pick cheap or free software.

As far as what kind of computer for you to get that can be a bit tricky the truth is computers tend to need more power to play video games then to make them but they still need to be pretty capable machines. However most mid-level range machines should work for doing in class. The biggest question would be is how the computer handles the unreal game engine or a digital sculpture program like mudbox or zbrush."

...Anybody know if my computer is up to speed for this or will I need upgrades ?

Thanks guys, really looking forward to posting more threads along the way as I go...

2. LeftyRighty

LeftyRighty

You don't have access to paper and a pen/pencil?

You did those the wrong way around, check then buy...

You've obviously looked up the software vendor's websites and checked the requirements listed there... right? If your machine meets the minimums it'll run, if it doesn't beat the minimums by much it'll start to struggle as things get bigger/more complex (4GB of Ram and no graphics card might be a limitation for 3d sculpting, but simple box models would be ok)

3. Ryiah

Ryiah

Your laptop might be able to start the majority of the applications you listed, but you definitely won't be able to do anything with them beyond that. Modern content creation applications are simply not designed for hardware that old.

We're not just talking a little out of date here either. Every modern budget laptop completely outclasses your laptop in just about every component. Including the models that have no dedicated graphics. I'm seriously impressed that it's able to run Windows 10 but that's more an accomplishment of Microsoft than anything to do with that laptop.

Out of the applications you listed the most demanding one by far will be Unreal Engine. To run it you will need a laptop with a fast processor, at least 8GB RAM, and a dedicated graphics card (at least a GeForce 1050).

Below is a laptop that meets the above requirements while being affordable.

https://www.amazon.com/Flagship-Premium-Acer-i5-7300HQ-Keyboard/dp/B07CWBM1B9/

That said for a little more money you can get far more mileage and be able to run multiple heavy apps at once.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06Y4GZS9C/ref=psdc_13896615011_t1_B0771WMMRJ

Searching for reviews suggests it may have a mobile Radeon HD 4670... but it's still far inferior to modern Intel HD.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2018
  4. EternalAmbiguity

EternalAmbiguity

You're talking a lot about your computer specs, but that has nothing to do with game design. Game dev, maybe, but certainly not design. Take a look at a few of the other threads on here to see what game design is about.

astracat111, Red-Owl-Games and Ryiah like this.
  5. Ryiah

Ryiah

We have threads about actual game design here? :eek:

6. verybinary

verybinary

Sure. I just created a thread to see if my player character should wear a red or green shirt.

7. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

"Game design" can take many forms, but it generally refers to the planning rather than the actually implementing of the game. Strictly speaking, you don't need an up to date computer for "game design", or even a computer at all. You just need something where you can write ideas down, and work your way through the ideas to formalize your plan for the game.

As far as using that computer for game development, it is a pretty poor choice. That computer is literally a decade old, and you're trying to run applications which assume you're using them for actual work, and assume actual work means you'll have a modern computer to do that work.

For Unity specifically, it is probably possible to run it on that computer (assuming you at least are running a 64 bit OS), but you're going to have a frustrating time with anything but the simplest of projects. Unity likes lots of CPU cores, a good amount of memory, SSD storage, and video hardware comparable to a mid level card currently available today, and your specs fall short in every category.

For example, a decent mid level Unity machine might look like:

Intel i7 with 4 cores
    16 GB of RAM (8 GB can work ok, but you're pushing it)
    512GB SSD
    NVidia GTX 1070

Last edited: Jun 22, 2018
    carking1996 and Ryiah like this.
  8. Mallaboro

Mallaboro

I don't having a graphics card and my PC is fine running unity and building my games. Hardware isn't all that, but what I wouldn't give to be able to hook up a second monitor :( Good luck designing your game.

9. Ryiah

Ryiah

Intel's integrated graphics has made leaps and bounds in the last few years, but it's still very far behind every modern card available on the market and while it may be good enough for Unity it definitely won't be good enough for many of the apps on his list. At least one of the apps on his list won't start at all without a modern dedicated graphics card.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2018
    Mallaboro likes this.
  10. astracat111

astracat111

I use Vega 8 graphics but I'm not making super intense 3D games.

One thing, though, get a solid state drive NO MATTER WHAT~! I built my current computer as cheap as possible but based the entire build around a Samsung EVO 256GB M.2 drive. Greatest investment ever.

Do not use an HDD!!! You're talking about TONS of time saved hitting that playtest button.

11. Dannohawk

Dannohawk

Beg steal and borrow, get yourself a better PC. You need to invest in yourself here.

12. stillwwater

stillwwater

Not having a dedicated GPU isn't the end of the world if you're planning on making mobile or light weight games.

But man your system is going to be choked with 4GB of memory. Running Chrome alone can use up close to that amount, never mind running Unity and an IDE.

It's been mentioned in the thread already, but an SSD is night and day difference compared to a traditional HDD, makes the system feel much snappier overall.

Some laptops allow you to upgrade the drive and memory, if you can do that I'd start looking to upgrade those components when you can.

13. eatsleepindie

eatsleepindie

I'd argue that telling you all you need is a pen and paper to design a game doesn't help you with your question at all, nor does being told that you should have researched more before you purchased your computer, especially since you've already purchased it.

There is a difference between game design and game development. That being said, I don't think you came here for a lesson on that either.

People will tell you your system doesn't matter, but they'll also be the first to brag that they got an SSD and you're wasting time waiting for your game to compile if you don't.

To get started, you really don't need much and your laptop should suffice. Really, it can be as simple as disabling shadows to get your game up from 20 FPS to syncing at 60.
    1. You have integrated graphics on your laptop instead of a dedicated GPU. You won't be playing a gorgeous 3D game at Ultra settings on it, but it is more than enough to get done what you need to do. I'm going to venture a guess that you have access to desktops at your school that can fill in the voids when your laptop isn't quite enough to get the job done.
    2. You'll likely be spending the majority of your time programming and working in an editor that isn't running the game at the time, which can be done on just about anything. Again, Unity has quick access to quality settings so that you can test new code even if your system cannot run your game at the highest settings; it's still more than enough to test what you're working on. You don't need HQ shadows or even full-res textures when you're programming, so quality settings will be your best friend here.
    3. If you're just starting your class, I doubt you'll be getting into anything that requires the latest and greatest GPU or an 8-core machine any time soon. If anything, there may be some example projects your system has some trouble running, but your professor isn't going to start you out making a AAA quality game on your laptop, and if they do, you may want to reconsider attending class.
    4. Honestly, I'd make my first upgrade an external screen if you are going to be working at the same place on a daily basis (eg. you have a desk in your dorm room/apartment/etc). That extra screen space will aide your dev career more than a new GPU, a new dekstop, etc. ever will. I'd also consider an external keyboard and mouse to leave at the desk with the monitor, setting yourself up with a sort-of dock station for when it's time to sit down and focus. Put your money here: where when you do upgrade, it's not wasted money since all you need now is the desktop itself.
    5. 3DS Max may not run well, but I've found Blender 3D does everything I need it to, it's free, and it runs on less-than-impressive machines just fine. Again, you likely won't be getting into scenes with 1mil+ poly counts any time soon, so I'd go forward with what you've got with confidence.
    My system that was pretty top-of-the-line not that long ago has been demoted to a local development server. The system I work on now (and I'll spare you the specs because it isn't important) will suffer the same fate some day. Point being, the industry, the equipment, and the prices for that equipment are going to change much, much faster than you will progress through the learning curve. By the time you need an upgrade, what is pricey now will be listed at the same price you just paid for your Dell. Besides, you still need to dive in and make sure that game development is a right fit for you - and I am not saying it isn't, only experience can answer that. But don't invest a ton of money into something before you start learning how to do said thing. You're on the right track: get what you need, plan for upgrades, but for now focus on the learning, not the machine.

Edit: I just want to add to this a bit and say that your process is going to suck when you start. You are going to fumble around, you're going to forget where things are or how to do this or that, especially since you're just starting out. For a while you will be holding back your system, not the other way around. That isn't a personal attack or a comment on your lack of experience, it's just the way it is. Refine your process, learn the software, and when you find your system is holding you back rather than the other way around, come back to the forums and ask about upgrading before you invest in one. And of course, best of luck at your new school!

Last edited: Jul 16, 2018