Search Unity

1. Looking for a job or to hire someone for a project? Check out the re-opened job forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity wants to learn about your experiences working on a Unity project today. We'd like to hear from you via this survey.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Unity 2020 LTS & Unity 2021.1 have been released.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Good news ✨ We have more Unite Now videos available for you to watch on-demand! Come check them out and ask our experts any questions!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Read here for Unity's latest plans on OpenXR.
    Dismiss Notice

Anybody try Texture Arrays on Quest?

Discussion in 'AR/VR (XR) Discussion' started by JoeStrout, May 8, 2020.

1. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

I've got to sample a bunch of different tiling textures in a scene, and so to limit draw calls, I put them in an atlas and wrote a custom shader that tiles only within the proper sub-region of the atlas. That works fine, but to avoid bleed problems I have to turn mip-maps off, and now the textures get a bit crawly at a distance.

However I just learned about Texture Arrays! These seem really neat and could be a good solution, since each texture in the array gets its own mip map. Also the UV tiling would work normally, making my shader even simpler.

But this thread suggests that many vendors skimp on the Texture Arrays feature, and it may be substantially slower (especially on mobile platforms) than a regular texture atlas. So before I do a bunch of retooling, I thought I'd ask:

Does anybody have experience with texture arrays on Quest? Do they perform as well as an atlas?

2. Gruguir

Gruguir

It works great for me, tho I don't know if it would perform better with atlas.

JoeStrout likes this.
  3. DonCornholio

DonCornholio

Sorry to necro this thread, but did you eventually switch over to texture array @JoeStrout ? And can you tell us about performance differences?
    Thank you :)

4. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

Yes, I use them extensively and they perform very well indeed.

DonCornholio likes this.
  5. MDADigital

MDADigital

Did you write your own implementation or used a ready to use solution?

6. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

I wrote my own. They're not too hard if you have a working knowledge of ShaderLab.

unityunity