Search Unity

1. The Unity Pro & Visual Studio Professional Bundle gives you the tools you need to develop faster & collaborate more efficiently. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Want more efficiency in your development work? Sign up to receive weekly tech and creative know-how from Unity experts.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Participate with students all over the world and build projects to teach people. Join now!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Build games and experiences that can load instantly and without install. Explore the Project Tiny Preview today!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Improve your Unity skills with a certified instructor in a private, interactive classroom. Watch the overview now.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Want to see the most recent patch releases? Take a peek at the patch release page.
    Dismiss Notice

Anybody mess with Arduino or anything, to help with learn programming or relax?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by BlankDeed, Nov 29, 2018.

1. BlankDeed

BlankDeed

I was going crazy from working on my game and had to force take a mental vacation for the health of me and my company. I got into soldering small electrical devices together, simple devices and whatnot. Then I started looking at Arduino, thinking it might be just as fun as soldering, but also be a sneaky way to teach me comprehensive C++. Anybody learn any coding from Arduino tinkering, or have any thoughts?

2. Billy4184

Billy4184

It's a lot of fun, and I'm building a solar/battery monitoring system with it for my boat. Other than the mental vacation though, it hasn't contributed a whole lot to game dev.

dogzerx2 likes this.
  3. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

My side project right now is home automation. I use Z-Wave. Its really fun. My controller uses LUA as script language.

dogzerx2 likes this.
  4. Vanamerax

Vanamerax

I have done some stuff with arduino's controlling WS2812 LED strips. These can be controlled per-pixel and can create some interesting effects. Have done a room-lighting project for someone's hobby room using this stuff.

Would recommend using Visual Studio Code with Platform IO if your project gets any larger than a hundred lines of code or so.

dogzerx2 likes this.
  5. Kjelle69

Kjelle69

I am working on a serial communication routine that can control Unity through sensors from an Arduino.
    Really interesting :)

Arduino Code:

void setup() {

pinMode(12, INPUT_PULLUP);

pinMode(13, OUTPUT);

pinMode(LED_BUILTIN, OUTPUT);

Serial.begin(9600);

}

void loop() {

int SW1 = digitalRead(12);

if (SW1 == LOW)

{

digitalWrite(13, HIGH);

Serial.write(1);

delay(20);

}

else

{

digitalWrite(13, LOW);

Serial.write(2);

delay(20);

}

}

Unity Code:

using UnityEngine;
    using System.IO.Ports;

public class Input : MonoBehaviour
    {
    public float speed;
    public float amountToMove;

SerialPort sp = new SerialPort("COM3",9600);

// Use this for initialization
    void Start ()
    {
    sp.Open();
    sp.ReadTimeout = 1;
    }

// Update is called once per frame
    void Update ()
    {
    amountToMove = speed * Time.deltaTime;

if(sp.IsOpen)
    {
    try
    {
    MoveObject(sp.ReadByte());
    }
    catch (System.Exception)
    {

}
    }

}

void MoveObject(int Pedal)
    {
    if (Pedal == 1)
    {
    transform.Translate(Vector3.up * amountToMove, Space.World);
    }
    if (Pedal == 2)
    {
    transform.Translate(Vector3.down * amountToMove, Space.World);
    }
    }
    }

BlankDeed and dogzerx2 like this.
  6. dogzerx2

dogzerx2

I haven't ever messed with arduino at all but it's in my bucket list. Very interesting thread!

Billy4184, BlankDeed and Kjelle69 like this.
  7. BlankDeed

BlankDeed

I think this is really cool.

Kjelle69 and dogzerx2 like this.
  8. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

Here is my current project btw (Z-Wave)

dogzerx2 likes this.
  9. Voronoi

Voronoi

I've used Arduino's for getting input into Unity and it's pretty fun. Here's a capacitive touch sensor that I made: https://github.com/bryanrtboy/ArduinoSerialThreading

The curve represents the 'kind' of touch, rather than just on or off. This project forced me to learn more about threaded operations, which is really a must when using Arduino's for inputs to a PC.

In terms of fun, and learning programming I had a lot of fun working recently with Raspberry Pi's and openframeworks. What's nice about OF is you can develop on a mac or PC, and then easily port to the PI. I learned a lot about the different video formats required for a low end device like the PI. And, the PI has GPIO pins that can make it act like an Arduino and use sensors.

10. RichardKain

RichardKain

I learned how to program in Python so that I'd finally be able to code for my Raspberry Pi. I'm glad I did, there's a lot more fun stuff that I can do with my Pi now. Also, Python is very easy for even a partially experienced programmer to pick up, it only took about a week and a half of practice for me to familiarize myself with the syntax. I'm planning on cooking up a rudimentary point-and-click framework using Tilengine that I will be able to run on my Raspberry Pi, as well as port to Unity.

Kjelle69 likes this.