Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Question Any way to use something like a Wind Zone with VFX Graph?

Discussion in 'Visual Effect Graph' started by dgoyette, Aug 26, 2020.

1. dgoyette

dgoyette

Does anyone know if it's possible to have a Wind Zone, or something similar, influence a visual effect? Right now, the only thing I can think of is to manually edit every visual effect, and add an Update that adds some force. But I'd have to also manually figure out those forces, and send them into the effect via a public parameter (potentially updated every frame), and potentially duplicate that behavior across a bunch of effects. Is there a simpler approach than hand-crafting this kind of behavior into each of my effects?

2. cubrman

cubrman

It is absolutely mind boggling how Unity ignores most SRP questions in the graphics forum.

3. cecarlsen

cecarlsen

4. andybak

andybak

It's weird that this question has been ignored. In my experience this is one of the forums with the most support from Unity staff.

Windzones aren't supported because VFX Graph does things a different way. Off the top of my head you'd sample a 3d texture as a vector field or something along those lines. There's a ton of different ways to achieve this in VFX Graph. It's very versatile compared to Shurken where everything is mostly hardwired.

5. cecarlsen

cecarlsen

Haha, yes it sure does. For one, it compiles compute shaders. But why not implement a WindZone force field node? WindZone is a standard built-in component, so I think it is perfectly natural to expect other built-in features to support it *looking at you VFXGraph*.

6. andybak

andybak

I agree actually. But I get the feeling the VFX Graph team and the Shuriken team don't sit at the same table in the canteen. ;-)

(who am I kidding... Like there's a Shuriken "team"...)

PutridEx, cecarlsen and Qriva like this.