Search Unity

Question Any way to temporarily didable CompositeCollider2D to enable testing of individual colliders?

Discussion in '2D' started by lordumbilical, May 18, 2023.

1. lordumbilical

lordumbilical

It is often useful to do tests on individual colliders that make up a CompositeCollider2D, but the composite obviously overrides them, and cant be disabled at runtime (the option exists in script, but doesnt seem to do anything). I've also tried destroying the composite, testing, and then replacing it, but the tests still fail; I'm assuming it takes time for the destruction to be recalculated, or something to that effect.

So, just wondering, if anyone would have an idea how to achieve what I am after; the ability to interact with colliders that have been made part of a composite? (at specific moments)

Many thanks in advance.

2. Kurt-Dekker

Kurt-Dekker

Have you tried just disabling the CompositeCollider2D?

I imagine that might do what you're after... but I am pretty sure all colliders are destroyed and rebuild afresh, which might have implications for messages coming from them.

Or I suppose you could use each individual collider and Overlap() it yourself in code...

3. lordumbilical

lordumbilical

Although the option exists in script to enable/disable composites, it doesnt seem to do anything, as far as I can tell. There is no enable checkbox next to the composite component in the inspector, so I think this reflects the fact. (or could be unrelated; I'm just guessing.) I just tried again, and that seems to be the case. Setting enabled to false via script seems to have no effect.

Individual colliders do not seem to react when set as part of collider. They return no results when addressed directly. I also just tried setting the individual collider "usedByComposite" to false, and that makes no difference. The collider returns no results when queried by overlapcollider, and if I run a test on the composite, it still returns results including the individual that I just removed from it. Changes to composites seem to not take effect immediately. There is a "synchronous/manual" setting for changes to the composite...I might try changing to manual, triggering, testing...then changing back. Worth a shot I suppose./

4. Kurt-Dekker

Kurt-Dekker

What about disabling it, then triggering an update, then seeing what happens?

If it still behaves same-same when disabled, this would kinda mean it is behaving counter to the way most other colliders behave in Unity.

I take your point about the lack of checkbox but it DOES have the .enabled field, which is something that (for example) a Rigidbody does not have. I think the lineage of the Rigidbody is slightly different from most other Behaviour-ish stuff.

Perhaps again it might be time to page @MelvMay to see what he might think of your original question?

5. lordumbilical

lordumbilical

Updating the compositecollider2d (I used SyncTransforms2D...which I presume is what is needed) does disable the composite as you suggested. Unfortunately, individual colliders still each need to be unset as "used by composite" or they dont seem to be detectable on their own.

So my solution became: detect overall composite; trickle through composite and turn off all "used by composite" settings in each and every individual. SyncTransform2D. Detect individual. Then turn everything back on again.

It works, but not the most elegant. Still hoping for a "ignore composite" kind of solution. I will return to it after a breather.

Thanks again.

6. MelvMay

MelvMay

Unity Technologies

I don't follow what you're trying to achieve here. I also don't understand what the legacy-behaviour sync-transforms has to do with this as that relates to when you (incorrectly) change the Transform and force the whole physics engine to check all transforms that have changed and update anything relevant. That doesn't seem to be what is being discussed here.

No, any object destruction in Unity is deferred until the end of the frame, it's not a physics thing.

So a composite does not "override" anything. When you ask a collider to use a composite, any shapes it would normally have produced are created by the composite and it merges them into its final solution (the original shapes are lost). The colliders using it do not produce any shapes, they are just a definition of a collider at that point; there's nothing to interact with.

You cannot have it part of a composite and it somehow be indepdendent. I want it yellow but also red sort of thing.

That will take its shapes out of the composite, the composite will be regenerated without them and that colliders' shapes will be created. Immediately after doing this, the collider is there and you can query it. Look at the inspector on that collider, you'll see its "Shape Count" goes from zero to some value. Depending on the complexity of the composite though, this can become a performance problem as you're constantly regenerating the composite and the collider(s) being used by it.

I guess the question is, what does this mean, explicitly? The individual collider shapes don't exist anymore. It sounds like your approach is the problem here. Maybe there's a different way of solving whatever it is you're trying to do? I might be able to help there.

7. lordumbilical

lordumbilical

Hi. Thanks for the response. In essence: I am trying to detect collisions between large shapes all comprised of smaller shapes; sometimes I need to know that a big shape has hit things; sometimes I need to know which smaller shape has hit things. Indeed, I am looking for a solution whereby I have both the composite collider and the individual colliders at once.

You are right, that the SyncTransforms didnt do anything. It was my imagination that it was somehow having an effect, and I just took it out and everything kept working as usual.

I guess it boils down to: is there any advantage to using a composite in this case at all? I have no reason to use composites, except I thought it might be a wise thing to do in terms of performance. (A few colliders bumping around, verses several hundred...maybe a thousand down the road.) If it makes little difference to how much work Unity does, I may as well just keep with individual colliders.

Many thanks.

8. MelvMay

MelvMay

Unity Technologies

Would you mind posting an image/video because I'm struggling to get a mental picture of what it is you're doing here exactly?

Don't want to give you bad advice.

9. MelvMay

MelvMay

Unity Technologies

Posting this separately but when you add colliders to a rigidbody, they all move with that rigidbody but more than that, any collision events (OnCollision/OnTrigger) are reported on the collider gameobject but also on the rigidbody gameobject (if that's different).

Using the above you can logically "group" contacts by responding to the "group" of colliders via the script on the rigidbody (any collider i.e. the "large shapes") and individual colliders ("small shapes") via a script on the collider gameobject.

Maybe this simple differentiation will help you group your responses?

The other question would be why you are using the CompositeCollider2D because from what you described, it doesn't sound like there's any advantage.

10. lordumbilical

lordumbilical

"any collision events (OnCollision/OnTrigger) are reported on the collider gameobject but also on the rigidbody gameobject (if that's different)"

Wow. That's the Eureka moment. I had no idea, although it perhaps explains some curious results I've had previously. Thanks so much. I think armed with this I can get the end result I am chasing.

I would post a video, but I have no idea how to do that.

MelvMay likes this.
  11. MelvMay

MelvMay

Unity Technologies

Love those Eureka moments, I live for those.:)

Has to be a link to it hosted somewhere. You can add an image directly. Sounds like you're sorted though!

12. Kurt-Dekker

Kurt-Dekker

On this exact topic:

I only learned just a few short years back ("Eureka!") that the OTHER GameObject's colliders would ALSO get pinged upon collision, as long as at least one side of the collision had an RB/RB2D. I had read the docs strictly and assumed that I had to handle all the messaging only on the RB side.

You would not believe the knots that I had tied my code into to just to learn which base my lunar lander had touched!

MelvMay likes this.
  13. lordumbilical

lordumbilical

Yes, just realising that I can cycle though my contacts of Collision2D is a big deal. Worse, I've read it many times, but a lot of stuff just doesn't click until I use it.

Wow. Both of you hitting 10 years on this forum. Impressive.