Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Any way to preview 5.0 beta?

Discussion in 'Unity 5 Pre-order Beta' started by Bruce_GMC, Oct 28, 2014.

1. Bruce_GMC

Bruce_GMC

Hey,

I'm posting to ask if there's anyway to install 5.0 without uninstalling 4.6. I would like to test an import of our project but I would like to do it in confidence that there will be no alterations to my previous unity install and its project settings and files. I'd like to hear some options, if anyone has them. Thanks

2. giyomu

giyomu

What platform you are running on ( win ? mac ? ) you can install as many Unity version you want , without interfering between them, just that the process on mac or win differ.
    There is I think already a bunch of thread regarding this.

3. Bruce_GMC

Bruce_GMC

windows, I searched..

Edit: side by side were the key words i needed. thank you :)

4. giyomu

giyomu

Then just name you install folder other than "Unity", the default name, when you install it

5. Bruce_GMC

Bruce_GMC

And the licenses wont conflict? I've got pro with team server, guess I'll find out soon but just wondering if it's going to make me activate twice on one computer..

6. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

It's fine, it shouldn't ask you to activate. Assuming you have a license for 5 (you upgraded or bought it).

7. orb

orb

It asked me to activate again, so 5 definitely uses its own activation files.

8. Bruce_GMC

Bruce_GMC

It's too bad the license manager isn't stand-alone

9. orb

orb

Heh, the standalone licence manager is actually a complaint about certain other software ;)

Cygon4 likes this.
  10. Bruce_GMC

Bruce_GMC

I praise autodesks license manager, just me i guess. Exporting and importing has never failed, though Unity has done a very nice job at giving me full access to the return license function.

But back to topic, I'll let you know if I get asked to activate my license again when I get that far. Have to fix a beta 20 installation first.

11. orb

orb

Not just you. I meant literally exactly what I wrote: There have been complaints about standalone licence managers. Not by all, but some :)

Anyway, if you have a recently bought licence OR subscribe, you're set for Unity 5. I dunno if 5.x has parallel activations though. That might be a problem if you've already got two 4.x activations, for instance.

12. Bruce_GMC

Bruce_GMC

Sure nuff, if you're installing 5 side by side with 4.x it'll cost you an activation.

Edit: not true

Last edited: Oct 28, 2014
  13. Marc-Saubion

Marc-Saubion

Not that sure.

5 is just the beta test and unable to export products you could sell: it would be a bad move from Unity to ask you to give up one activation on a work tool you need while you also need to be aware of the content and features of the next version.

I personally installed Unity 5b on the same computer as my 4.5 and they are both working fine while my second activation code is used on my laptop, but this one is a 3.5 so it may not count.

14. the_motionblur

the_motionblur

Nope. It doesn't. You can see the current state of activations in your unity profile. You can apparently also reset it from there now in case you need to.

Go to the front page, log in and then go to the store page (don't know why). If you are logged in you can then access "May Account" at the top where you'll find what you bought and how many activations you have left. Also you can disable activations there, it seems. I haven't tried to do that, though. So maybe it doesn't just reset but actually nuke your activations in a huge fiery explosion (... kidding).

And for the record: I also hate standalone license managers. The web based functionality is nice, though. :)

15. bmccall1

bmccall1

I have 4 and 5 on my laptop and my desktop using my subscriber activation and no problems.

16. Dantus

Dantus

No problem here as well. I have Unity 4 and Unity 5 on my windows laptop and both of them on my mac as well without any license trouble. I only own one Unity license.

17. orb

orb

I poked around the licence site, and it looks like Unity 5 simply doesn't count towards the activation count at all.

18. the_motionblur

the_motionblur

I had to activate every whole version number separately so far. It seems as long as you activate on the same machine there's no problem with it.

Some weeks ago I had to replace hardware and the activations all didn't work any more. So even if each version activates for itself - I guess on the same hardware it does not count as a new acitvation.

19. orb

orb

That's one mystery solved, I guess. Now on to the one about the missing socks.

20. Bruce_GMC

Bruce_GMC

Hey! So it looks like the 5 beta just checks whether or not you're eligible to use it or not without activating the license. Thanks guys!

21. elbows

elbows

I'm pretty sure it activates it, since on my account page it told me how many computers it was activated on.

22. Bruce_GMC

Bruce_GMC

Have you read what everyone posted here, people are able to activate their licenses over 2 times. That's proof to me that 5 beta does not activate a license, but merely references it.

23. elbows

elbows

Thats not proof to me, since my account clearly tells me how many computers Unity 5 is activated on, and the number thats shown reflects the reality for me.

24. Bruce_GMC

Bruce_GMC

Just because unity reports that you have used the beta? To confirm, I would like to know if you could install another version of 4 and activate it. But just to download 5 and get a copy of team server unity sent me an invoice with no charge on it. I'm confused why you are so hesitant.

25. elbows

elbows

I'm not hesitant, I am reporting that my account clearly shows me how many computers I have activated the Unity 5 beta on. I had an outright license for 4 pro, and am using a subscription for 5, so I have two different serial numbers and so its easy for me to see what is what on my account page.

26. Bruce_GMC

Bruce_GMC

Maybe unity installations do use a shared license file. I have 4.6 beta 20 installed and activated, and on the same machine 5 beta 9.. both with team server. I have one activation left. So I could go and install it on a laptop, right now.

1 License.. >2 activations

27. orb

orb

If you have two different licences, that's a whole different thing than activating the same serial in 4 and 5 at the same time :)

Right now the webpage is actually showing no activations for me, even though that serial has both 4 and 5. Maybe UT messed up.

28. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

I have about 7 different versions of Unity installed (going back to 3.4) on one computer and there are no issues with activations. If I installed on another computer, it would use another activation. But not on the same computer.

--Eric

29. Bruce_GMC

Bruce_GMC

you forgot to add /thread

thank you eric :)