Search Unity

Any way to open a RectTransform prefab without the environment Canvas?

Discussion in 'Prefabs' started by zvinless, Oct 28, 2018.

1. zvinless

zvinless

Having the UI Environment is really useful for things that use CanvasRenderers, but I have prefabs with RectTransform roots that are rendered using other kinds of renderers (e.g. TextMeshPro uses a MeshRenderer). Is there a way that I can have these open in the Regular Environment instead?

2. Mads-Nyholm

Mads-Nyholm

Unity Technologies

Hi,

If you need more control over the environment objects in Prefab Mode you can hook in and customize it to your liking from the event:
    PrefabStage.prefabStageOpened

See a script example here:
    https://github.com/Unity-Technologi...ets/Editor/Scripts/CustomPrefabEnvironment.cs

(and then leave the Environment scenes empty in the Editor settings)

E.g: Use the
    prefabStage.prefabContentsRoot
    to check what kind of environment and reparenting you want to setup.

3. Mads-Nyholm

Mads-Nyholm

Unity Technologies

We are considering changing the current logic to match what you suggested by checking if the opened Prefab has a RectTransform but not a CanvasRenderer then we would use the Regular Environment scene instead of the UI Environment.

4. zvinless

zvinless

Awesome, thanks! The CustomPrefabEnvironment is certainly good for now :).

5. zvinless

zvinless

I'm able to destroy the Canvas on the prefabStageOpened event, but it reappears when I save my project. Does that reload prefab mode without firing the event?

Also, related to the environment choice logic, TextMeshPro objects (3D Object/TextMeshPro - Text) have both a RectTransform and a CanvasRenderer component (it's hidden in the inspector), so maybe there should be some further way to decide?

6. zvinless

zvinless

Awesome to see this got addressed in the latest beta! I went ahead and opened (Case 1103782) for the TMP/hidden Canvas Renderer issue. Not sure what the most robust way would be to determine which environment to use without getting a little special case-y.