Search Unity

Resolved Any way to manipulate the connector lines between units?

Discussion in 'Visual Scripting' started by NickoGns, Jun 30, 2021.

1. NickoGns

NickoGns

I am coming from UE4 and I'm used to putting reroute nodes between the lines so no lines go behind nodes/units and simply be ugly and confusing. But I haven't found any way to do that in Unity's visual scripting, the only thing that I found was an addon for Bolt that some guys made in GitHub that doesn't support the visual scripting that comes pre-installed with Unity.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2021
  2. MasterSubby

MasterSubby

If your talking about the Community Add-ons, it supports all Unity Visual Scripting versions using the UVSsupport-Dev branch. I may have missed one of two places guarding some name changes, but that should be fixed tonight, as I was just made aware. This branch will be made the main branch very soon.

This is something that will eventually be a default thing for UVS in a future version. But this is the only way for now.

There are two of us involved fyi. Not that it matters unless you are specifically trying to reach us. But I'm the one finalizing all the last changes for this working in all versions, so if a fix or anything is needed, I'll be doing it at this time.

3. NickoGns

NickoGns

Ah, I see ok, thank you very much.

4. Lemovision

Lemovision

Yes please add this soon, this is critical for clear graphs!
    What I use at the moment is a formula node with just "A" formula
    It basically reroutes the connector but looks a bit dumb still

5. PanthenEye

PanthenEye

Get community addons for proper reroute nodes. https://github.com/RealityStop/Bolt.Addons.Community You might be adding unnecessary overhead with the formula nodes.

6. Lemovision

Lemovision

How do I know if community addons nodes might be adding unnecessary overhead too?
    Doesn't sounds 100% supported... I'd very much prefer a native feature out of the box
    This thread probably shouldn't be marked as resolved until it's the case I think

7. Lemovision

Lemovision

Btw I'll add a picture of reroute nodes here to explain what we're talking about
    I actually never used blueprints personally, but I had the same idea as NickoGns either way
    As you can see it's lot more readable than overlapping lines or extra "custom nodes"

8. MasterSubby

MasterSubby

They go in and go out. No data happening. On the drawing side it does way less. It overrides the original drawing content and removed 90% of the code. There is an added editor update method that detects the key press and activity of the graph to make sure everything's present. That's about it.

It was used to do the initial authoring only graph tests on Unity's end as well.

But eventually reroutes will be integrated natively.

9. ericb_unity

ericb_unity

Unity Technologies

I would suggest to use the community addons until we get the new system to control edges in graphs. As we don't know when it will be integrated on our side.

10. MasterSubby

MasterSubby

If needing everything is also a concern. I'm already working towards fixing up namespaces and giving each set of nodes that belong together, it's own changelog. Meaning I'll be releasing each set as a seperate download. Reroutes will be downloadable by itself.

ericb_unity likes this.
  11. ericb_unity

ericb_unity

Unity Technologies

Nice.

12. AlexVillalba

AlexVillalba

Hi everybody. Is there any update about this? Either including Reroute nodes by default or downloading it as a separate package.

13. Elidrin

Elidrin

I use a subgraph for flow connectors that just has a in connected to the out. Named it "Tie Wrap". Works great. Haven't tried it with data types but should work fine.

AlexVillalba likes this.
  14. PanthenEye

PanthenEye

Note that Community Addons are not maintained anymore and Jason has left the community, so use them at your own risk.

N04H08 likes this.