Search Unity

Question Any way to keep Shader Graph window opening as a floating window?

Discussion in 'Shader Graph' started by dgoyette, May 16, 2020.

1. dgoyette

dgoyette

I prefer to work in Shader Graph with a fairly large window, larger than any other window in my layout. So I open it as a floating window and maximize it. Unfortunately, after closing the window, the next time I open a Shader Graph window it will once again opened as a docked window instead of a maximized floating window.

Is there some way to get Shader Graph to open as a floating window permanently?

Olmi, Qriva, yyylny and 1 other person like this.
  2. dgoyette

dgoyette

It's worth mentioning that VFX Graph windows open as undocked windows when I open them. Is this just a decision made by the two dev teams? Or is this is a setting I can adjust myself?

3. lostminds

lostminds

Would also very much like to see this. It's silly that now at least for me the shader graph editor always opens as a new tab by the little game preview view. It used to open as a separate window as I remember it, but then it changed, I think with Unity 2019?

4. yyylny

yyylny

Yes - that's exactly what I need. My screen is too small to be able to edit a graph in a small tab. If I the Shader Graph panel was undocked and maximized before it closed, that's how it should appear next time it opens.

5. unity_TyKcs296OnkHSg

unity_TyKcs296OnkHSg

my way around this is to double click on the tab name, and it goes full screen mode, no need to pull it out and adjust it, then when im done just double click again and goes back to inspector mode and click on the scene to carry on as normal

baptistee and de-la-rue like this.
  6. BOXOPHOBIC

BOXOPHOBIC

SG should store the last position it was used on. Let's take Amplify as an example. If I open ASE and make it full screen on the other monitor and close it, on reopening it will be full screen on the other monitor. If you dock it a window, it will open docked to that window. If I open multiple shaders, they will dock to the same window.

Leaving aside the last position problem, what I don't really understand is why SG is opening over the Scene view, exactly the window where I need to look at the shader in action.

7. KimmoFactor

KimmoFactor

I really wish this could be fixed, seems almost like a bug since everything else seems to remember their place in the layout. Super annoying to always be undocking and moving and resizing the window when doing something. I like it floating wherever so I can see all the views I need.