Search Unity

Question Any way to have some kind of glow/bloom on the oculus quest2 ? (Standard renderer of URP doesn't mat

Discussion in 'VR' started by educa, Nov 10, 2020.

1. educa

educa

Does anyone know if there is a way to get glowing materials on oculus quest 2?
    I tried with URP and a post process volume, but that seems to not be supported on the native hardware.

I don't HAVE to use URP and some people told me better not to (don't know why exactly since URP should be lighter), but I would very much like to be able to have glowing objects in my scene.

There are demo's of gales I saw which show the 'created with unity' logo while starting and they do have glowing objects.

Any suggestions ?

Kind regards,
    Bart

2. Alixar

Alixar

I was reading this interesting post detailing things to avoid in VR, namely: HDR and bloom. But many games use bloom regularly to have things glow.
    I too was wondering how is that achieved in general and under URP? (With URP I have made a simple shader to create a glow effect but apparently I can only make it work in edit mode and not on the Oculus).

I hope someone with experience can point us in the right direction.

3. Alixar

Alixar

@educa I was a bit on a rush earlier, but the Quest 2 supports glowing objects, just open your pipeline settings (I use the HighQuality as a reference but you can use whatever you need after adjusting the various settings):

upload_2020-11-12_14-48-14.png

Enable HDR from the inspector

upload_2020-11-12_14-49-13.png

That does the trick for me, though it has an impact. I'm wondering if there are other inexpensive ways to obtain a similar effect.

drpeppercan and MatthewLFraser like this.