Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Question Any way to have proper impulses and noise without having an aim object?

Discussion in 'Cinemachine' started by meicexl, Jul 4, 2020.

1. meicexl

meicexl

Right now, if you shake a Cinemachine camera in any way without an aim object, it goes wild, rotating in all sorts of ways. The way I'm working with Cinemachine right now is that I'm using a different camera package for the actual camera controls (ootii), but I also want to leverage Cinemachine for impulses and cinematics.

If I add an Aim object, the impulses and noise work fine, but, obviously, I can no longer look around. I also don't want to depend on POV, as I've already done quite a bit of work on the current camera system, and like where it is. Ideally, I'd like to keep that Aim selection to "do nothing".

Basically, I'm wondering whether there's any way to have proper impulses and noise without any sort of aim object. Could I somehow manually tell Cinemachine to damp impulses so they stay centered, like an Aim object would do?

Appreciate any assistance in advance.

2. Gregoryl

Gregoryl

Unity Technologies

I don't understand the problem you're having. CM noise and impulses are not dependent on Aim or any CM targets. Can you describe how you're using CM? Show the hierarchy window.

3. meicexl

meicexl

Perhaps I just didn't explain it properly. I didn't mean that noise and impulses themselves are influenced without an Aim object, just that without an Aim object, the camera doesn't play them back how you'd expect.

1) Create a new camera, add a CM brain and virtual camera.
    2) Enable noise.
    3) Click play.
    4) Watch as camera wildly rotates around.
    5) Add an aim object and set it to 'hard look at'.
    6) Watch as camera now properly plays the noise preset without an wild rotation.

Here's a video of the issue. Starts with an aim object set, then I remove it. The camera starts going into random directions. (this is a clean scene with nothing but a CM brain and a virtual camera)

As for how I am using it, I basically want to use it for the impulses, but nothing else. I already have a different camera controller that handles everything, but it doesn't have any features for impulses, so that's where Cinemachine comes in. If I add some type of a Hard Look At object, Cinemachine takes control of the camera entirely, and the camera controller can't do anything anymore.

So ideally, all I want Cinemachine to do is play back an impulse, and nothing else - no aim or follow objects.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2020
  4. Gregoryl

Gregoryl

Unity Technologies

When I follow your steps, I get the expected noise. It makes no difference whether there is a LookAt object or not.
    I am using CM 2.6.0. What version are you using?

My inspector looks like this:

upload_2020-7-4_9-27-16.png

5. Gregoryl

Gregoryl

Unity Technologies

6. meicexl

meicexl

That is so incredibly strange. I always remember Cinemachine cameras going wonky when playing back impulses or noises without a LookAt, so it's very surprising that this is not actually intended behavior. I've used Unity 2017, 18 and now 19, and various CM versions back then, and this behavior was always present.

Thanks for mentioning the Independent Listener. That actually made Impulses work properly, however, noise still makes the camera rotate in random directions, like in the video above.

My setup is exactly the same as yours (CM 2.6.0), so it's really strange that I'm getting this behavior.
    upload_2020-7-4_16-46-28.png

I'm positive I can cobble something together that resembles noise by sending impulses periodically, now that that's working, but it'd be still nice to get the built in noise feature working.

7. Gregoryl

Gregoryl

Unity Technologies

Maybe you're doing something weird in your hierarchy. Can you show that?