Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Any way to easily turn HDRP off in editor or on certain platforms?

Discussion in 'High Definition Render Pipeline' started by JoeStrout, May 12, 2020.

1. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

For one project I'm on, we apparently have to use HDRP for the real builds because the visual director insists on it. But it makes Unity essentially unusable on my Mac — even after making a custom HDRP profile with everything turned off, the scene and game views produce seizure-inducing flashes, and while running, cause the whole computer to freeze for a few seconds, every few seconds.

Is there any way to tell Unity, "Don't use HDRP in the editor"? Or "Don't use HDRP on macOS"?

Or failing that, how hard is it going to be to set up two projects that use all the same assets, code, and resources except for HDRP?

2. SebLagarde

SebLagarde

Unity Technologies

Hi, don't think this answer your question but if you setup GraphicsSettings.currentRenderPipeline to null then it disable HDRP.

JoeStrout likes this.
  3. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

Flashes sound like issue with autoexposure. There is a fix for the initial flash on some newer HDRP, can't remember which versions the fix landed on.

You can't just trivially turn it off since all the project materials are configured for HDRP. If you disable the HDRP asset, you'll find all your materials turning to pink.

I'd pursue on path that makes bare minimum conf for HDRP, it's really easy to overlook some things on it. You can also turn off plenty of frame settings to fully turn off some expensive feats. I've gotten HDRP to scale fairly low (not as low as URP but still like only 35% of the regular cost vs when I have most rendering feats enabled).

Basically turn off everything fancy, and even dynamic shadows if you have to.

4. RoughSpaghetti3211

RoughSpaghetti3211

Im seeing the same issue on my Mac using HDRP. running very slow and depending on the camera angle the whole scene will go black. I’ve just opened HDRP m for the first time 3 days ago to evaluate it for a new project. So I’ve been mostly downloading unity demos scene but seen the same issue. Any ideas ?

5. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

6. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

Model Name: MacBook Pro
    Model Identifier: MacBookPro11,4
    Processor Name: Intel Core i7
    Processor Speed: 2.8 GHz
    Number of Processors: 1
    Total Number of Cores: 4
    L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
    L3 Cache: 6 MB
    Memory: 16 GB
    Boot ROM Version: 194.0.0.0.0
    SMC Version (system): 2.29f24

Intel Iris Pro:

Chipset Model: Intel Iris Pro
    Type: GPU
    Bus: Built-In
    VRAM (Dynamic, Max): 1536 MB
    Vendor: Intel
    Device ID: 0x0d26
    Revision ID: 0x0008
    Metal: Supported, feature set macOS GPUFamily1 v3
    Displays:
    Color LCD:
    Display Type: Built-In Retina LCD
    Resolution: 2880 x 1800 Retina
    Framebuffer Depth: 24-Bit Color (ARGB8888)
    Mirror: Off
    Online: Yes
    Rotation: Supported
    Automatically Adjust Brightness: No
    S22C300:
    Resolution: 1920 x 1080 (1080p FHD - Full High Definition)
    UI Looks like: 1920 x 1080 @ 60 Hz
    Framebuffer Depth: 24-Bit Color (ARGB8888)
    Main Display: Yes
    Mirror: Off
    Online: Yes
    Rotation: Supported
    Automatically Adjust Brightness: No

7. RoughSpaghetti3211

RoughSpaghetti3211

I found my flickering issues and it was user error. I had a displace map piping into the vertex normals instead of offset

8. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

In my case, it's a full-screen flash, perhaps overexposure as suggested above. But I've turned off literally everything I can find to turn off, and it still happens.

9. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

@JoeStrout if it really is autoexposure, then it's probably still enabled. Check Project Settings->HDRP Default Settings and scroll down to Default Volume Profile etc.

10. SebLagarde

SebLagarde

Unity Technologies

Hi, to know if the flickering is due to exposure, you can use fixed exposure and if it doesn't fliker anymore, it come from this. We have fix an issue for white flash screen and autoexposure in 7.4.0 . But this maybe not what is happening in your scenario.