Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice
Unity's version control component has been upgraded to Plastic SCM.

Any way to ask Unity editor to not auto-do-stuff while PlasticSCM desktop is open?

Discussion in 'Unity Collaborate' started by BetaMark, Jul 20, 2022.

1. BetaMark

BetaMark

Environment:
    * Plastic SCM GUI (modern UI) version 11.0.16.6860
    * Windows 11 Pro Insider Preview
    * Unity 2020.3.36f1

What happens?
    When I open the Plastic SCM desktop application, I'm usually coming in here to either commit changes, revert mistakes, or switching to another branch to do a review or support one of my teammates on their work.

In those last two cases, I try to always remember to close down my unity editor before I do any reverts or branch changing, because when I don't do that, Unity has a lot of helpful / auto features that will run and update things such as my Library, package caches, meta files, etc -- further dirtying up the branches as I move around between them.

What I expected to happen?
    Now that Plastic and Unity are together, I had hoped that the Unity Editor would be able to detect when the user is in the Plastic SCM desktop app and delay all of the automatic processing until after I have completed whatever my work in Plastic is. I do not see an option in Plastic to ask Unity to temporarily disable things like Auto Refresh, Directory Monitoring, and Recompile Script Changes and I would prefer to not have to disable those in my projects as they do add value in my normal Unity Editor workflows.

Workaround I use today?
    I (and all of my teammates) have to remember to always shut down Unity Editor before loading PlasticSCM desktop to do any kind of branch switching, merging, or reverting.

Why not using the Unit Editor PlasticSCM Plugin?
    I had previously used PlasticSCM and Collaborate on different projects. When the forced migration happened, many of my projects from Collaborate ran into upgrade snags with the only solution I could come up with being to remove the Unity source control package from all of my projects. TBH, I prefer to have my scm as a separate step and outside of the editor anyways, and I really like the branch explorer view in the full desktop gui, so I'd prefer have a seamless experience with PlasticSCM desktop AND Unity working together and not tripping over one another if at all possible.