Search Unity

Any way of getting water to interact with rigidbodies?

Discussion in 'Physics' started by CoffeeConundrum, Jan 13, 2015.

1. CoffeeConundrum

CoffeeConundrum

I'm looking to try and get my leap motion working with manipulating water so that you can create waves when the hands run through the water etc.

Just wondering how I would achieve this, if at all, by myself and I'm not wishing to part with money for a pack that is on the Unity Store as I don't have that right now.

Many thanks

2. skusku

skusku

You could have a look at procedural materials and / or procedural mesh generation / manipulation...

With the procedural materials you may be able to generate normal maps and textures based on your input.
    Manipulating the mesh directly gives you more room: higher possible waves, etc. however it could turn out more intensive as you would need more polys.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head.

3. mgear

mgear

4. CoffeeConundrum

CoffeeConundrum

Thanks for the replies guys!

It's more about manipulating the water if I'm honest so it would be able to interact if I dropped a cube into a pool of water that the expected result would happen.

The basic idea that I had would be to navigate this boat along a body of water to it's destination but use your hand movements to create waves that the boat would obviously use to move around on the water. Was just wanting to see if it was a viable idea with as little money spent as possible and without a Pro license. I'll have a look into the displacement mapping and I'll have a look at that shader as well mgear!