Search Unity

Any use for math skills ?

Discussion in 'AR/VR (XR) Discussion' started by king_rammus, Apr 7, 2018.

1. king_rammus

king_rammus

Hello !

I've been developing neural networks for a little while, I really liked the math but I didn't grow fond of deep learning and machine learning in general. I'm now starting to learn Unity and I hoping to get into making some graphics for VR. I'm wondering if any math skills like linear algebra and calculus would be useful in this area, where would you apply them ?

Thank you !

2. kevinleekley

kevinleekley

3. kirsseb

kirsseb

I see this is a bit old bet there isn't a proper answer. I'm a machine learning engineer who dabbled in game development.

For game development, I found linear algebra and geometry especially useful. You will move and rotate many objects and while Unity will take care of the math in most cases, it is very useful to understand how it works.
    Become familiar with vectors, matrices, projections, and matrix transposes.
    An intuitive understanding of geometry concepts such as the Pythagorean theorem, sine, cosine, tangent, and how to apply them in 3D is very useful as well.

Once you go into doing advanced gaming physics, and graphics, vector calculus becomes very useful as well because you are dealing with changing velocities of objects.

Check out my blog post series on linear algebra and vector calculus to get up to speed with these topics.