Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Any tips on devlogs?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by sdwsk, Oct 15, 2018.

1. sdwsk

sdwsk

Hi,
    Any tips on how to make devlogs? How do you 'talk' to the recipient? How do you present game stuff? And finally, how to get more readers (or any in my case)?
    I decided to do so as few people suggested me this, but I have completely no idea how this is done. What 'site' is best for doing so (I started on Blogger)?

Thank you soo much,
    Siudinho.

Lohoris2 likes this.
  2. Nlim

Nlim

What audience are you targeting? Game developers? Just general gaming enthusiasts? Or people who are specificly interested in playing your game? If the last one what is the platforme and genre of your game?

Main point is figuering out what your audience is interested in and where that audience usually "hangs out". Anything more specific would depend on your answers.

3. sdwsk

sdwsk

Hi Nlim,
    I aim to people interested in my game which is economic strategy. Platform is PC. Also I'll be glad if I could also target the blog for 'general gaming enthusiasts'.

Lohoris2 likes this.
  4. Nlim

Nlim

Pfuh, not really my area.

I think for how to structure your devlogs you could probably use those of the Crusader Kings 2 developer as a reference:
    https://ck2.paradoxwikis.com/Developer_diaries

Those always seem quite popular with their community but are less interesting for the general gaming public. I think breaching the gap between general enthusiasts and your potental player is a difficult ask since the former is more interested in general gaming/design topics while the later prefers the more specific and current features.

Otherwise I googled around a little with potentially related communities like 4x which didn´t turn up much and on how the Arcan Devlog for AI Wars II is going (https://blog.arcengames.com/) which doesn´t seem to pull much traffic either.

My only other suggestion would be to look up the more succesful games in your genre and check out their devlogs if they have any.

5. sdwsk

sdwsk

Oh, I totally forgot that Paradox exists.
    Generally I read HOI4 devlogs as I played this title, but still, big piece of quality posts, absolutely I'm going to read other games' devlogs.

6. Magician_Arcana

Magician_Arcana

My advice would be to try not to overthink things. Do your best to talk about what progress you've made as if you were talking to someone who doesn't care to learn about the nitty gritty technical stuff behind the game. What I do is I think of the key things I've added/changed since the last devlog and write an explanation for each of those those things one at a time. I like to talk about why I made each change/addition and what my design goals are for them.

If you'd like to see an example of what I do, my last devlog is here.