Search Unity

1. Improved Prefab workflow (includes Nested Prefabs!), 2D isometric Tilemap and more! Get the 2018.3 Beta now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. The Unity Pro & Visual Studio Professional Bundle gives you the tools you need to develop faster & collaborate more efficiently. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Let us know a bit about your interests, and if you'd like to become more directly involved. Take our survey!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Don't miss out on the Unite LA Keynote for the latest information from Unity! Set a reminder!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Improve your Unity skills with a certified instructor in a private, interactive classroom. Watch the overview now.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Want to see the most recent patch releases? Take a peek at the patch release page.
    Dismiss Notice

Any suggestions for a backend Service that handles a MMO with 100 to 200 player per session?

Discussion in 'Connected Games' started by Jack-Mariani, Oct 10, 2018.

1. Jack-Mariani

Jack-Mariani

I was planning to create a specific server for a semi persistent MMO (long session length) with a large number of players (50 to 100), but I think this might take too much time for production, especially considering that the mobile platform will require special care.

So I would like to know if there's already some pre made solution, or helper.

At the moment I found:
    Photon: I've experience with peer to peer photon and I'm very satisfied with it, but Photon authoritative solution feels a bit less supported.
    DarkRift 2: just found it. Seems very fast and probably viable for mobiles, can it be a good solution?
    SpatialOS: it seems a good option, especially considering it has a distributed server architecture. I think it is out there for 2 years, so I'm not sure about its own possible lifetime.
    uMMORPG: I'm very fine with assets that do a small things or handles something on the editor. But I'm a bit worried when using an asset for a large part of the game. This asset seems well polished and with a very live community. Still it also relies on uNet (or some continuation of it), and I fear it could be dropped sometime in the future.
    In the old post I see Smartfox is mentioned. Not sure if it is still top notch, but is this a valid option?

BTW, this server by no means require to handle login, store player data or anything like that. Even matchmaking is not a priority. At the moment the only element we need to define is how to handle so many data exchange during the gameplay session.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
  2. g_a_p

g_a_p

Hi,
    yes SmartFoxServer 2X supports MMO type games with specific tools, such as MMORooms, which are game rooms specifically designed for large scale, mmo-like applications. Players are updated only when events are triggered within their AoI (area of interest) so you can have tens of thousands clients in a Room interacting without massive performance hits.

As an extra bonus SFS2X, handles login, storage, database integration, security, permissions, administration and a ton more.

You can take a look at an intro on MMORooms here:
    http://docs2x.smartfoxserver.com/AdvancedTopics/mmo-rooms

And you can download a Unity Example pack here:
    https://www.smartfoxserver.com/download/sfs2x#p=examples
    It contains a basic example to get started with MMORooms and a more advanced game implementation (the Space War demo)

Tutorials for each example in the Example Pack are found here:
    http://docs2x.smartfoxserver.com/ExamplesUnity/introduction

Hope it helps

Jack-Mariani likes this.
  3. vis2k

vis2k

Hi, I made uMMORPG. It does not rely on UNET anymore. It uses Mirror, which is a UNET fork with about 500 bug fixes and improvements.
    It can also handle 200 players easily (we tested the worst case scenario, everyone on a small map, broadcasting to everyone else):

You don't have to use uMMORPG of course. The underlying networking library Mirror is still there to be used for free.