Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Any success getting MonoDevelop to work with Unity 2018?

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by alexchandel, May 8, 2018.

1. alexchandel

alexchandel

Visual Studio for Mac, after install, is a full 2.5 GB, compared to MonoDevelop's 310 MB. I don't want this bloat.

Has anyone had success using MonoDevelop with 2018? Searching only yielded unsuccessful attempts with the 2018 beta.

I can still build projects from Unity, but in MonoDevelop I have missing reference errors for most packages (e.g. UnityEditor.UI). Anyone know how to fix this?

Note that reimporting assets didn't fix this.

Last edited: May 8, 2018
  2. alexchandel

alexchandel

Solved:

Unity -> Preferences -> External Tools -> External Script Editor, then find and select MonoDevelop from the dialog. Then Assets -> Open C# Project, to regenerate .sln/.csproj files.

3. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

Note that MonoDevelop is specifically not supported starting in 2018.1, even if you've found a way to get it working for now, as it doesn't support the newer C# features they are adding support for in Unity. If you want to use MonoDevelop you should really consider staying with 2017.4.

https://blogs.unity3d.com/2018/01/0...r-monodevelop-unity-starting-in-unity-2018-1/

4. alexchandel

alexchandel

Visual Studio for Mac is simply awful. It's slower and almost 10 times as bloated as MonoDevelop in size. I was happily able to get MonoDevelop 5.9.6 & Unity 2018.1.0f2 to play together for the projects I needed to build.

Which C# features does MonoDevelop 7.6 not support that Unity 2018 adds & that VS for Mac supports?

CevdetArkun likes this.
  5. Ali_unity

Ali_unity

I never used Visual studio with unity , I always used mono develop but I just updated to 2018 and Visual studio is very slow compared to monodevelop,

6. Lajo

Lajo

I have the same problem. Yesterday I update Unity 2018 and Mondevelop could not be found. I dowloaded mondevelp again but the same problem. Now that I read this is seems UNITY does not even recognize Monodevelop. That is bad news