Search Unity

Question Any solution yet to frustrating behavior clicking through backfaces in editor?

Discussion in 'High Definition Render Pipeline' started by dgoyette, Oct 2, 2020.

1. dgoyette

dgoyette

I reported this about two years ago, as bug #1105873. It has since been closed without any actual resolution, merely being told they've reproduced this and sent it to be fixed.

The issue is simple: Normally, if you click on an object in the Scene view, it will select the nearest Prefab parent of that object. For example, if I click on an object like this, the "Catwalk_3x3" root object will be selected:

upload_2020-10-2_12-22-39.png

That's pretty much always what I want.

However, in HDRP, this behavior breaks when clicking the the backface of some other object. The first thing that happens is that the object whose backface I clicked gets selected. That's 100% never what I want. If I then click again, it will succeed at clicking through the backface to select the object on the other side. However, instead of selecting the prefab root as normal, it will select the mesh instead:

upload_2020-10-2_12-25-21.png

Most of my levels consist of rooms made in ProBuilder, with inverted normals, so that the player is "inside" the box. This means I'm constantly clicking through backfaces to select objects inside the room, unless I'm extremely careful about where the camera is.

Additional note: This also affects what happens when you middle-click on an object to set focus on it. If you middle click on a backface, that's where focus will be set. Again, I 100% never want that.

This is all HDRP-specific. In the built-in renderer, clicking on the backface is ignored.

Is there any fix for this coming? I was really hoping this would have been an easy thing to address, since it's such an annoyance. Is this being tracked somewhere? Again, the bug I reported was simply closed without giving me any sense of where it would be tracked.

2. Tomas-Kiniulis

Tomas-Kiniulis

Unity Technologies

Hey,

You can track the status of your bugreport here: https://issuetracker.unity3d.com/is...other-object-does-not-select-the-whole-prefab

Seems it was resolved as "Won't Fix". Checking with the team responsible for scene management, it's a design limitation, they are planning to do a rework and it's in their list of improvements, unfortunately, they do not have any ETA for this yet, but what was reported seems to be affecting all render pipelines.

The issue you mention now of backfaces getting selected is indeed a problem affecting both URP and HDRP. I've filed tickets for both render pipelines and notified HDRP devs.

3. dgoyette

dgoyette

Thanks very much for following up on this. I appreciate the effort, even if it seems this won't be fixed any time soon.