Search Unity

Any Realistic VR?

Discussion in 'VR' started by sadicus, Sep 9, 2018.

1. sadicus

sadicus

Is VR still in a baby? Sharks, Dinosaurs, Creatures.
    looking through google play and most VR is cartoony looking.
    If you've played a decent Unity made VR game or know any good quality VR movies please post!

2. halley

halley

All those non-VR games that you think are cool get to use hardware in a way that VR cannot. Yet. In the VR world, there are a lot of constraints. Frame rate has to be a lot higher, or people will get woozy with the lag. With a higher frame rate, your scenes have to be a lot simpler. Many games try to render in stereo also, for depth perception, which is double the effective frame rate again, as far as the hardware is concerned. So throw out those deferred-pass shaders, those 30000-poly trees, those dozens of 4k textures. Hardware will continue to evolve. Right now it's the time to let the VR user interfaces evolve. Grab, point, gesture, balance, attach, walk, fly, and so on.

3. sadicus

sadicus

Great points halley. One VR I just tried was made in Unity, Sea World VR 2. Looks nice, It's simple but the concept and clever use of move controls are exactly the kind of thing I'd like to learn how to make!

4. soleron

soleron

There are tons of realistic VR with Unity: But not for games.

i.e.

There are some international consumer oriented VR experiences under development, which are realistic, I know because I have talked with these creators, (yeah, we are so few we occasionally talk to each other and exchange news :p) but you can't see anything yet, since they are all trying to get funded and are in stealth, or just got funded and got not much to show yet.

In general there is not much support in the area of realistic VR visuals in Unity, neither from Unity, (i.e. the new HDRP is not even compatible with VR) nor from anyone else since the VR market is not what you would call, "lucrative" at this point and the consumer VR hype is dying.

The problem is most indie creators have no clue how to pull realistic visuals on Unity, and many who want to learn, are jumping to Unreal because they think only Unreal can pull realistic visuals. (Again, because they do not know) so it's a bit of a..complicated and misguided situation combined with some very real issues. i.e. AA often has problems in VR, Post Production often flicker etc. These are unacceptable issues for high end realistic visuals. The one who clearly benefits from all this, is Unity's competitors who are hyping he relevant Raytrace/RTX features and the couple of realistic VR games they have to offer.

5. FiveFingerStudios

FiveFingerStudios

This is older footage from my game...which is still in development.

I’m in the process of doing a lot of new custom art for it and improving the visuals.

6. eastes

eastes

Richie's-Plank-ExperienceTall (1).jpg

It takes a lot of time and money to get realistic graphics and have it run at 90FPS. This game is 2 years in and there's still room for improvement. There's also the law of diminishing returns... another 2 years may only give 20% improvement.

7. Marc-Saubion

Marc-Saubion

Is VR locked out or does it mean we'll have to make our own HDRP-VR?

8. Marc-Saubion

Marc-Saubion

VR looks cartoony for few reasons, the number one being the price. It's cheaper to make simple graphics and easier to optimise. With a small VR consumer market, you might not earn enough for realistic graphics being worth the investment. An other reason is, it's not necessary. Even with a cartoonish product, you get the VR effect and fun.

Though, there are VR product you can try like this one. But you don't think about it because its is not sold as a VR experience, even though it is working fine with a VR headset.

9. Ruckrova

Ruckrova

Last edited: Oct 3, 2018