Search Unity

Any Programming task

Discussion in 'Open Projects' started by lHawasl, Sep 30, 2020.

1. lHawasl

lHawasl

I am looking to practice Game programming, so I don't mind what task I take.
    I don't mind a challenge.

2. koirat

koirat

Just do a game.

3. lHawasl

lHawasl

Tried, got bored of doing it alone, also I am terrible at 3d design and art so my games never reach a presentable state

4. lHawasl

lHawasl

I don't see the inventory system assigned to anyone, should I start working on it?

5. koirat

koirat

Use free or low cost assets.

6. michaelgrilo

michaelgrilo

I agree with you lHawasl. I also prefer to collaborate with people when it comes to creating large projects.

7. MileyUnity

MileyUnity

@koirat please allow people to want to contribute to the project instead of sending them elsewhere, the Open Projects is about collaborating with each other :)

8. ChemaDmk

ChemaDmk

Unity Technologies

lHawasl, tmcdonald and cirocontinisio like this.
  9. PranavPrem

PranavPrem

Hello, I am a game development student and I am interested in the AI area, so can I contribute for it and how do I do it?

10. dkaloger

dkaloger

How should we implement it ? I am a coder

11. MatasVa

MatasVa

Hello,

Firstly, this is a great initiative and is something that I have advocated extensively for when I was working at Unity, glad to see the idea finally coming around!

Secondly, I hope I am following the task assignment procedure properly. I want to do a quick rough implementation of the Dialogue Objects as requested here:
    https://open.codecks.io/unity-open-project-1/decks/15/card/15s-timeline-track-for-dialogues

I see some timeline dialogue being implemented in the forums, but this card is still un-taken, so I am unsure about the current status of it, hopefully, it is still up for grabs :)

Lastly, I wish to discuss what kind of extensibility do you guys require from the Dialogue objects. Do we need any other implementations other than a default one for the dialogue timeline?

Waiting to hear your thoughts!

12. kcastagnini

kcastagnini

PranavPrem likes this.
  13. PranavPrem

PranavPrem

kcastagnini likes this.
  14. Ciremia

Ciremia

I am looking to participate but i really dont now how can someone help me?

15. Siaubakas

Siaubakas

I'm new to this repository and when seeing the roadmap, I can see that almost all tasks are picked by someone. Is there anything that I can do from code side? I tried submiting PR to improve a scene a bit, but it was refused.

16. Megatank58

Megatank58

You can work on the issues that have been coming up

17. Barigamb738

Barigamb738

I would love to contribute to this project but all the coding tasks i was interested in are in progress already. What should i do is there any more coding task i can do?

18. travelhawk

travelhawk

I would like to contribute in coding, level design or other tasks, but currently most of the tasks are assigned the Unity team or already in progress.

19. itsLevi0sa

itsLevi0sa

I think it shouldn't really matter that much to us (the community) if a task is assigned or not. Nobody tells you not to try to solve a problem in the background too, on the contrary, i think it's encouraged. It's just that in the end, somebody has to officialy work on it to keep track of what's currently being made and have the discussions on rails (and not duplicate). I think it would be extremely fruitful (for yourself first, but to the community as well) if you try to tackle the same problems as other people and face the same challenges - figure out your own solution, as this would make any contribution to each thread even more valuable. This discussion and process is what makes this initiative so much better than a pre-scripted tutorial with already given answers.

20. travelhawk

travelhawk

Thank you for your reply! So you suggest to try to implement the different systems as a practice and potential benefit for the community even if others are working on it?

I think what is nice is that you can check how others implemented different solutions. I'm still not so much involved, but maybe I can check on something ;)

itsLevi0sa likes this.
  21. Victor_Savitskiy

Victor_Savitskiy

Absolutely agree!
    If you low-experienced in Unity (like me) but want to do anything, just clone the repo to your local machine and open in Unity.

First, just look at the project structure and code organization. Do the code review and compare it with Conventions.
    This step helps you to understand the project base and you will not waste time in the future when you start to work on the real tasks (the amount of which will increase by the time I think). Achievement: "Catch someone on the unconventional code".

Second, break/redesign/add something to the project. Whatever you are interested in - arts, level design, music, game mechanics, UI, etc - you can realize any of the ideas in the project. If you can't - start to learning. This step gives you an understanding of the skills you need to improve right now. Here you can try to resolve some of the project tasks (no matter assigned it to someone else or not), just to test your skills.

This post may be useless for experienced in Unity game developers, but this approach helped me to start the process of involving. Hope it will help someone else.