Search Unity

Any plugins needed to create entire accurate real city in Unity with HDRP?

Discussion in 'High Definition Render Pipeline' started by newguy123, Feb 22, 2021.

1. newguy123

newguy123

Hi guys

So this example was done in Unreal, would something like that be possible in Unity with HDRP? Would I need any plugins? Note, I'm especially talking about the QUALITY of the lighting, and the amount of high detailed buildings, roads, animated cars etc. (Also 3 artists - as in non programmers - will need to do something like this, so dont bother mentioning DOTS please)

@pierred_unity
    @chap-unity

2. pierred_unity

pierred_unity

Unity Technologies

Hey, that's a lovely demo!

One would mainly need good satellite/ terrain data, and artists willing to extrude and remap geometries from the albedo and optimize the terrain mesh. And optionally warp the whole thing to match the earth curvature. They might use a procedural tool to help with building and tree placement, to reduce some of the manual work, maybe Houdini.

upload_2021-2-23_19-34-46.png

The buildings are very low poly, but they have realistic albedo textures. That's probably why it can run at a decent framerate.

upload_2021-2-23_19-59-32.png

Also, if you look more closely, many cars are "baked" into the albedo map, they're not 3D (airport and harbor area for instance). And the roads bridges are probably flattened strips of polygon stitched with the rest of the terrain mesh. Roads under bridges don't actually exist either due to the texture mapping.
    upload_2021-2-23_20-17-10.png

I'd suggest looking at the demo on a large screen at max resolution to see what's actually being rendered, and the level of details outside the city center. ;)

I don't see why one wouldn't be able to do it with Vanilla Unity and HDRP. The PBSky can give similar results (with earth curvature) and the volumetric fog can spread for hundreds of miles, Density Volumes can be very helpful too. And precise shadows can be cast for miles with contact shadows. The only thing missing out of the box would be lens flares, but these are coming in a future release of HDRP and there are alternatives here and there in the meantime if you google it.

Great demo regardless!

Attached Files:

newguy123 likes this.