Search Unity

Any plans to support inspector previews for tilemap and spriteshape?

Discussion in '2D' started by CDF, Apr 9, 2020.

1. CDF

CDF

Wondering if any Unity 2D devs are looking at supporting previews in inspector for tilemaps and spriteshaps?

When I have a bunch of tilemap prefabs and sprite shape prefabs, it gets frustrating not being able to see what they look like without opening the prefab.

This is especially annoying when you're making your own prefab broswer (like I am) and wanting to render asset previews using "AssetPreview.GetAssetPreview(gameObject)". They just show up as blank textures.

I can already see this not happening because of how GameObjectInspector is implemented: https://github.com/Unity-Technologi...or/Mono/Inspector/GameObjectInspector.cs#L619. Which is a shame.

Surely Unity can come up with a more streamlined way to determine object previews than a bunch of "if I have this type of renderer then go" logic. Maybe some sort of renderer interface (IPreviewRenderer) that says "HasPreview", "GetPreviewBounds" etc. Then imagine you made that interface public as well! Oh the fun we could have

2. CDF

CDF

so that's a yes then?

Awesome

3. Venkify

Venkify

Unity Technologies

Thanks for the feedback. We will take a look into what can be done and will update this thread.

CDF likes this.
  4. xjjon

xjjon

This would be a great feature