Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Any plans to improve Standard Shader? (UI Especially)

Discussion in 'Unity 5 Pre-order Beta' started by Cynicat, Feb 7, 2015.

1. Cynicat

Cynicat

So my question is a simple one. you guys mentioned wanting to look like marmoset in your unite talk. the standard shader would imply you are looking into a more flexible shader system(duh). however i'm pretty disappointed with the current standard shader. huge lack of flexibility. take marmoset's material editor as an example, it has options for many different input maps. what if i want to use an actual metallic/rough workflow(not this metallic/smoothness bullshit). what if i want to preview using a separate roughness map and later combine them once i'm done working on my textures? if you have the ability to generate shaders based on input data shouldn't you make this more granular? why only support 2 workflows and make them hard-coded on the shader side?

as a programmer i love how intuitive and flexible unity is. i can program in any way i want. sure it might not be optimal, but i know my workflow better than the engine does. thats why i don't really like unreal is that it forces you to work how they want you too. but with the new standard shader especially i feel horribly limited. i have to use your crappy workflows(also whats with this smoothness bullshit? call it gloss. use the industry standard). i have to perform tedious channel packing every time i want to see a change happen. i have to tweak my textures every time i want to tweak roughness when it would be so much easier to just have a simple slider.

finally. its just frustrating. i don't want to work with this shader. its less tedious then previous methods, yes. but i also had a preview shader with all these options that i used for fun. you have the opportunity to make that the default workflow and you aren't using it. the current standard shader works fine but its not fun to use. i love programming in unity because it makes programming fun. dive in and start coding and see the results instantly reflected. work how you want too. the standard shader reminds me of stuff i saw in internal engines designed for large teams. they got the job done but where not that fun to use.

the standard shader should adapt to how i work... not the other way around. because if its going to stay the way it is now then i'll be rolling out my own version that isn't painful to use.

P.S. this isn't meant to be mean to the people working on the standard shader. this is just meant to be some brutally honest feedback from someone who is loving the beta for the most part. as an artist of many years i have come to the conclusion that art is king. in order for an engine to support good art it needs to be fun for artists to use.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2015
  2. Aras

Aras

Unity Technologies

All good feedback.

For 5.0 our goal was mostly to get a much better PBS BRDF in, and to reduce the "there are 50 random shaders, but they are all kinda similar" situation of Unity 4.x. I think that part is achieved (you could say that in 4.x "it's no fun" to mess with built-in shaders either - e.g. there aren't options of how data is proved, how textures are packed etc.).

You're right that the current standard shader is not very "configurable" in a sense that there are no out of the box options for inverting smoothness map (i.e. if you have roughness maps) etc. All that is fairly easy to do (write your own simple surface shader using Standard lighting function) though.

I think what we should have is either a shader graph editor (where the "master node" is inputs to Standard BRDF), or a more configurable UI like in Marmoset. Or both. But all that will have to be post-5.0. We'll keep on working on these things.

TheSniperFan and Cynicat like this.
  3. Cynicat

Cynicat

great! sounds awesome! sorry for my rather aggressive way of providing feedback. if you have plans to improve this then i'm happy. if unity becomes funner to use on the art side that is literally the best news i can get at the moment. being a long time 3D artist and programmer has sadly meant i have to choose which to focus on. i chose unity's programming side because its awesome but the art side has always been a bit frustrating. to be clear i absolutely love the code side of the render engine. you guys have been doing a wonderful job there. i know that people (me obviously included) can be really bossy and inconsiderate at times.

cuddle whoever added command buffers and keep up the awesome!

4. Aras

Aras

Unity Technologies

Cuddling myself sounds awkward... :)

shkar-noori and Cynicat like this.
  5. Cynicat

Cynicat

DO IT! I command you!

6. Zomby138

Zomby138

What do you guys mean by "command buffers" ?

7. Aras

Aras

Unity Technologies

8. CaptainMurphy

CaptainMurphy

So what changed in the optimized nature shaders (around b18-b19) that has caused almost all of my materials made by K4 to make the alpha portions show up in deferred? Is there going to be a need for all new vegetation textures or is this something that already is being looked into? We have tried in all sorts of conditions and this is happening in about 99% of the scenes and just about every shader situation. It seems to be a draw order issue since things like global fog and hdr cause a massive change in the appearance of the alpha portions.

http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/tree-shader-alpha-issues.295626/