Search Unity

Any plans to fix 360 recording?

Discussion in 'Cinemachine' started by scottunity, May 14, 2019.

1. scottunity

scottunity

Would love to use all of these tools to generate 360 video previs but current quality level of any recorded 360 is very poor. Are there any plans to allow higher quality renderers?

2. marief_unity

marief_unity

Unity Technologies

Hi @scottunity !

Would you mind sharing the settings you are using in Recorder ?
    And an example of result.

Want to make sure we look at the same issue.
    There is work about encoding quality that is on its way, but I'm not sure it is specifically your issue.

Thanks

3. scottunity

scottunity

Thanks. Good to hear. I did recordings previously with the Unity 360 and had done some 2-3 years ago with one of the assets from the store. Both turned out much better results than what the highest quality on the current Unity 360 recording. Let me dig up the settings and see if I can get a video/still of results.

4. scottunity

scottunity

One key thing to note Unity cuts off maximum size of video. You list 4096 x 2160 as maximum for 264 While technically true by some standard, most systems (Premiere, ffmpeg, etc) can now deal with 7,680 x 4,320
    Oculus Go can handle up to 5.7k and 4096 x 4096 is not problem.
    If I render a stereo 360 scene with Unity then max is 4096 x 2048. Using over/under stereo that means my vertical resolution is only 1024 for 180 degrees so I'm basically seeing standard def tv

Your quality settings detail: High, Medium, Low so there's really no control over bitrates or other details to refine codec quality.

All this is just mp4 and 30fps.

5. scottunity

scottunity

For stereo I had to render as 2048 x 2048 so each image is 2048 x 1024. Note the edge artifacts and quantizing artifacts in the sky.

Attached Files: