Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Any plans for supporting Large Worlds?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by alsharefeeee, May 26, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alsharefeeee

alsharefeeee

Hi everyone,

Since Unigine, Star Citizen engine and now Unreal Engine 5 now support LWC, even Godot has serious plans to support it, I was wondering if there are any serious plans to support Large World Coordinates/ 64 bit Double precision transform values in Unity?

Technically possible?
    I read that HDRP cameras now support large worlds and Bullet Physics support 64 bit double precision.

So...

I know that before, LWC support wasn't necessary but now with games becoming more open world, isn't it time that Unity, the multi-billion dollar engine start upgrading itself?

Especially with things that we can't add/get from the Unity store.

But Unity will break!
    As for people who are afraid that it would break the engine, supporting LWC could be a package thing just like HDRP and URP, you download the package and it replaces the floating precision/Unity Physics engine.

Are there demand?
    A simple google search asking for when will Unity support 64 bit double precision large world or how to do it ourselves or how to build large worlds will show there are many people who are interested in that. There is even a poll, and I don't know, but I think supporting LWC would easier than supporting DOTS.

Greener
    Honestly the grass is looking much greener on the UE5 side right now; Nanite, LWC, Mega scans (with 13,000 free scanned objects), MetaHumans, weekly free offers, Omniverse, etc.

Kerbal
    I already read enough about Kerbal Space Program approach, world rebasing/origin shifting and shrink everything but that wouldn't work for my project.

I need the Large Worlds support and I don't want to abandon the years I spent learning Unity and honing my skills in it.

With love,
    A ~10 years Unity Dev.

Last edited: May 26, 2022
    AntonioModer and stonstad like this.
  2. Murgilod

Murgilod

I'll be real, most of those threads were started by Arowx. Even the one you cite was.

3. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Please try it out, let us know what you think in a couple of weeks. It will save a lot of typing. We're probably going to a lock more of these general threads where people don't try things but just spell out theoretical concerns. There's no point to these, and they're best off discussed on discord.

By the way, DOTS (with Entities) is pretty much the solution. It supports doubles, streaming by default and so on. But you must try things out in each engine / scenario.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.