Search Unity

Feature Request Any plans for editor XR

Discussion in 'EditorXR' started by zogtrog, Aug 25, 2021.

1. zogtrog

zogtrog

I would really like to edit my unity scenes using virtual reality. However it appears that the XReditor isn't compatible with the latest version of unity. What I would like to propose is that the XR editor is resurrected as a stand alone scene editor which can interact with an open instance of the Unity editor. This could be done through shared memory and sockets. In the ideal world collaborators would be able to work in the same virtual scene space at the same time, and the changes they made would update the scene accordingly. The virtual collaborators should also be able to chat to one another over voip.

2. Alakelele

Alakelele

No feedback at all, seems like they don't really care anymore

3. zogtrog

zogtrog

Hi,
    No response for over a year. I am trying to work out how I can build an editor myself. The problem seems to me that the only display than can render to VR is "Display 1". In edit mode Display 1 is usually active with the main camera. I am not sure why I can't switch on a VR Display in edit mode other than the fact that "Display 1" is usually open on the main camera. It's very disappointing the Unity team does not seem to want to work on this or is unable to do so.
    A VR display should behave just like any other display. If a VR headset is present it should be assigned it's own Display number and any camera assigned to that display should be a VR camera because that would make logical sense.

Alakelele likes this.
  4. Alakelele

Alakelele

Have you been able to take a look at the code that they produced for earlier versions ? https://github.com/Unity-Technologies/EditorXR

5. LaserWzzrd

LaserWzzrd

The worst part is unity is still hosting pages advertising editorXR - either fix this package or get rid of all references to it, otherwise devs like us keep spending our time trying to hack it back together in the hopes that it would do what is advertised. Editing in VR is SUCH A GOOD IDEA so I ask - please fix this package and get a tech writer to fill in the github page with some useful info.

itsLevi0sa and ITCL_RV like this.