Search Unity

Any offline Machinations-like tool?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bitinn, Oct 16, 2019.

1. bitinn

bitinn

If you have read Game Mechanics: Advanced Game Design by Ernest Adams & Joris Dormans, you probably heard of a tool they developed called Machinations. It's basically a visual-scripting prototyping tool for gameplay designer to simulate outcome of a system.

Screen Shot 2019-10-16 at 16.09.30.png

Problem is, the Flash-based tool has been taken offline nowadays; and if you search for Machinations, the obvious result is a cloud-based tool in beta, works only in Chrome browser, that runs simulations in clouds ...

Let say I prefer local simulation, and I am using macOS, what sort of tools would you recommend?

(Nothing against using Excel or MatLab, just want to try a more game-oriented tools.)

(Visual scripting tool for Unity would work too, and I have NodeCanvas and PlayMaker. But for simulations a dedicated tool is faster, and can visualize the graph without more work.)

Please share if you use similar tools, or share your copy of the Flash-based Machinations, I would like to get it working on macOS :)

2. bitinn

bitinn

Screen Shot 2019-10-16 at 17.04.16.png

Good news (for me), with latest Adobe Flash Player and a bit of help from a tool called iSwiff, I got it running on macOS.

Since the download is quite obscure, I will share my copy of Machinations here (v4.05 should be the latest release, along with examples it's just 260KB zipped, so actually smaller than this screenshot above :) )

Attached Files:

neoshaman likes this.
  3. jcsl

jcsl

Thank you very much for sharing. I am looking for this type of tool but offline too. No luck so far.