Search Unity

1. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Any news on the HDRP shaders?

Discussion in 'UGUI & TextMesh Pro' started by Ultroman, Jun 19, 2020.

1. Ultroman

Ultroman

You must be tired of this question by now, but the newest post I could find said the new HDRP TMP shaders would hopefully be ready within 30-60 days from some time in April. We're struggling here, mate :D I know, so are you. I'm in the middle of a vertical slice of a game using HDRP with a bunch of translucent objects in the scene, as well as worldspace canvases with a few TextMesh Pro (UI) elements on them "travelling around" those translucent objects, and those canvases need to be rendered on top of everything.

I've managed to get something working with a custom shader graph some other guy posted a screenshot of in another thread (which includes a bunch of needed amendments and comments, compared to the otherwise pretty thorough blog post he did on it). It actually does render on top of everything else, using the "After Post-Process" rendering pass. However, the text quickly "gets thinner" as it gets smaller. Much quicker than normal. You can see it here, compared to a normal Unity Text element using the UI/Default shader, with a close-up in Scene View and from a larger distance in the Game View. The regular text element seems to do just fine, but mine just withers away within a few units. Your original shader obviously also renders much better than this, so the SDF code is probably too "basic".

TextMesh Pro shader graph.png upload_2020-6-19_10-32-24.png

That said, I have very little clue as to what I'm doing. That's why I ask. If the new HDRP shaders/materials are ready within a month, then I can still make it even if I wait for them. Otherwise, I'll have to see if I can get this shader working better.

Shader Graph: HDRP_UI_TextMeshPro.zip

Material settings:
    upload_2020-6-19_10-49-45.png

Finally, I'd just like to thank the guys who made TMP. It's such a great tool and it's SO much better than the standard Text-elements. Thank you for your contribution to Unity <3

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 19, 2020
    fish-rcm likes this.