Search Unity

Any luck with the Lightwave FBX Plugin?

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by klindeman, Aug 20, 2005.

1. klindeman

klindeman

I am trying to get the FBX plugin you guys linked to in the Wiki to work in Lightwave 8. The link in your wiki broke, but I found it on the Alias site. It shows up when I say add plugin, and describes the features I want (export), but when I hit ok, nothing seems to happen. Am I doing this correctly? Am I just not supposed to see it in the Export window after I do that? All I need is something that can preserve the UV mapping done in LW, as I tried to go to 3DS then in, even export it in many formats Cheetah3D can read, and then export it as FBX and still no go. I am kinda stuck, cause I would like to use some of these models/textures in the Widget contest but I can't get the UV maps in unless I figure out this FBX plugin.

2. Richard_B

Richard_B

klindeman,
    When you say you hit "ok" - which what panel is the "OK" appearing on? is it the FBX exporter panel? I have used the FBX with LW and it works fine.

Richard.

PS You need the LW8.2 plugin: "fbxlw82.p"

3. klindeman

klindeman

When I hit add plugins, I select the file in the open dialogue box. Then, it shows up that there are 3 plugins in the file. That is where I hit ok. I can add other plugins fine, but I don't see where FBX shows up anywhere after that, like as a selection under export or the plugins tab.

4. klindeman

klindeman

Just updated LW to 8.3....still no dice.

Tried it with stock LW 8.0 with the 8.0 version of the plugin as well as 8.2, and now I just tried 8.2 plugin with 8.3.

Edit: Just tried adding the plugin in Lightwave instead of Modeler, and it seems like it worked?

Edit2: Yep, it worked!

5. Richard_B

Richard_B

The fbx exporter is a generic plugin so should appear in the "Generic" plugins menu, or possibly in the "Additional" plugins menu. The Generic plugins menu might not be part of your default menu configuration so you might have to add it as a menu item (via opt-F10 I think)...

Richard.