Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Any known issues with occlusion for dynamic occludees?

Discussion in '2017.3 Beta' started by x4000, Nov 22, 2017.

1. x4000

x4000

This is something new that I'm just seeing in the 2017.3 version, but I'm not sure if I'm just doing something wrong, so I don't want to report it as a bug just yet. Basically if I have a scene where I've baked the occlusion like normal, there are certain skinned mesh renderers (and possibly some regular mesh renderers) that don't want to show up. It doesn't matter where they are in front of the camera, they can be right there in front of it.

A lot of time I think this has to do with something like multiple skinned meshes overlapping one another, such as clothes on a character. In other cases it might be an invisible collider in front of the camera that doesn't have a mesh. I've seen this in two projects, one that is my own and one that was just something I was checking out from the asset store, but only with a few objects.

This is with "dynamic occluded" turned off on those objects, and they are not static. I skipped 2017.2, so this part is new to me; these same things worked just fine in 2017.1 and before. If I completely turn off occlusion culling on the camera, then it shows everything fine, but of course performance tanks. The near and far clipping planes are set fine, I can adjust the fov up and down to insanity and it doesn't make a difference, and the angle between the camera and the thing in question doesn't matter.

Anyone seen anything similar? I'm not sure if I need to put in a bug report on this or not, just yet.

2. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

I did run into issues where objects disappear, even when they're in sight:
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/cas...nes-do-not-start-at-camera-near-plane.499325/

However, these disappearing objects were static. But you could take a look at the link and perhaps it's the same issue.

EDIT: I just came across the following thread, which sounds pretty much to what you described:
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/serious-problem-with-occlusion-culling-in-unity-2017-3-0b9.505185/

Last edited: Nov 23, 2017
    LeonhardP likes this.
  3. phil_lira

phil_lira

Unity Technologies

Hi x4000,

Do you only have this issue with Dynamic Occluded property disabled?
    That sounds like an bug introduced by Dynamic Occluded property. Can you file a bug report and I'll take a look at it?

4. x4000

x4000

I'm having the bug with dynamic occurred on and off. It's very intermittent, though -- sometimes a given scene works fine, other times it is hiding my character's shorts, other times her eyes. In a particular asset store asset the character as well as some books on the floor don't show up at all. It's The House (https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/94521). Simply installing and running that in b10 causes the issue. Deselecting dynamic occlusion on the objects in question doesn't help, nor does re-baking the occlusion culling data.

I'm out of the office for the next couple of days, but will file a proper bug report Sunday or Monday when I return. Thanks!

Edit: auto-correct fixes, blah.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2017
  5. x4000

x4000

@Peter77, thanks so much for the edit there -- that second link is exactly what I'm seeing. Not sure why I didn't find that post before. Glad it sounds like your original issue is hopefully fixed, though.

Cheers!

Peter77 likes this.
  6. Spiral-Organ

Spiral-Organ

Yes the problem manifests itself in a VERY cruel joke sort of way. On ALL my INDOOR maps, occlusion culling has this issue. On all outdoor maps where its not really that helpful, everything is normal. Something about being boxed in by four walls and a roof makes occlusion culling glitch.

It was just absolutely insane. Perhaps a lack of directional light (Indoor maps don't have that in my workflow aside from the elementary school map which doesn't have a sun source yet) could have something to do with it.

x4000 likes this.
  7. x4000

x4000

Mine has a directional light -- I think it has to do with the view frustum clipping into the walls or similar in some fashion.

8. x4000

x4000

@phil-lira: Can you confirm that you have all you need regarding repro cases at this point? Or would you still like me to file a bug report on Sunday when I'm back?

9. phil_lira

phil_lira

Unity Technologies

@x4000 I confirm we've got a repro scene. However this seems a tricky issue. If you can report a case with your repro scene as well I'll appreciate since I'll have more data to validate the fix.

I'll keep you guys updated on the status of the bug.

10. x4000

x4000

Awesome, thanks for your response in the other thread -- sounds like you guys got it nailed before I got into the office, so I'll wait on the fix in the next build and upload a new repro if I still see the issue.

Cheers!