Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Any interest in a Procedural Climbing asset?

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by S-P-A-C-E-D, Feb 28, 2015.

1. S-P-A-C-E-D

S-P-A-C-E-D

I've been working on procedural climbing on and off for the last year. I've learned many different ways of doing it and wanted to know if there are many people out there who could use a system like this?

As it stands, I am using the Third Person Controller from the Sample Beta Assets package. All that has been done to it is one substate has been added to the animator, 4 lines have been added to the ThirdPersonCharacter script and then the Climbing script has been added to the character.

The climbing script does make use of the rigidbody, so I suppose that almost any controller could use this if they have a rigidbody. They would also need to prevent gravity from applying while hanging, prevent any rotations that might be applied by the directional buttons or joystick, and allow OnAnimatorMove to use deltaposition of the animations to add movement(for shimmying and what not).

This is still a work in progress, very much so, but I'd like to more games with climbing.

Any interest in this sort of thing?

2. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

I don't really have any interest in an asset like this - but I think it's pretty cool.

If I were interested in an asset of this nature I'd like it to be very polished. For instance - I'd like to see some nice transitions between states, and an advanced feature would be to have two different states on either side of the character. That would be nice. When the character is between an area with a wall and an area without a wall, see the character right side with his leg up against the wall and left side leg dangling because there is no wall to prop against.

Pretty nice work so far.

3. S-P-A-C-E-D

S-P-A-C-E-D

Boy it's come along way since. I'm actually looking into non procedural climbing for a few big reasons. Many of the people that are asking about climbing want to be able to climb things that procedural edge finding wont get, like rock walls and things of that nature. And yes, absolutely will be handling situations where one hand or foot is not against a wall and will operate on it's own logic.