Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Any idea why shadows are not being cast by game objects?

Discussion in 'General Graphics' started by guru20, Aug 2, 2017.

1. guru20

guru20

For some reason, I can't seem to get hard or soft realtime shadows to appear in my project...

I have both Cast Shadows and Receive Shadows turned on for my game objects...
    I have a point light with mode set to Mixed and Soft Shadows turned on...

Nothing seems to appear.

Any ideas why this would happen? (Lack of shadows is the one thing keeping my VR game from looking great... granted, I do not know if I will actually use them, depending on performance hit, but I'd like to be able to try...)

2. jvo3dc

jvo3dc

Check the player and quality settings. Mainly the rendering path in combination with the amount of realtime lights.

3. guru20

guru20

I will double-check those items, thanks (I did try to override the quality settings to manually specify render quality of the shadows, but not sure if that would solve the problems you mention here)

4. guru20

guru20

Weird... still can't see why no shadows are rendering... (what do you mean by rendering path with combination of realtime lights? I have checked all of the settings on "Fantastic" level... have looked at Quality, Player, and Graphics, and see nothing that should prevent shadows...)

5. jvo3dc

jvo3dc

Is the rendering path forward or deferred?

6. guru20

guru20

Using defaults (Forward) ... I will try overriding on Camera and see if anything changes...

7. guru20

guru20

Changing between rendering paths did not changing anything (only change came about by setting Legacy Vertex Lit)... none of the rendering paths are causing shadows. So baffling (I also got some pretty awful results from light baking, but that's probably unrelated and I will need to play with the settings quite a bit more to see why that happened)

8. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Transparent things don't work with shadows. What shader and what settings on the shader?

9. guru20

guru20

Should have checked all of the shaders... using a variety (including a custom no-culling one I made) it does look like one of the biggest issues was that walls and floors were using legacy shaders; changing to standard shader shows shadows now.. Thanks!

Last edited: Aug 4, 2017