Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Any idea when FSR is going to be available?

Discussion in '2021.2 Beta' started by JasonB, Aug 2, 2021.

1. JasonB

JasonB

I know there's a github repository, but I didn't want to clone like 15 gigabytes of code and then dig through it trying to find the "thing" to stick into the "other thing" to get FSR working, and honestly I don't know how to do this anyways. Was really hoping beta 5 would have it, but unfortunately not. As a VR developer in a GPU drought I'm absolutely dying for performance gains.

2. PutridEx

PutridEx

Temporal Upscaling is also merged now, along with FSR. From testing Temporal Upscaling might actually give better results. Not sure if it'll be a good fit for VR though. Maybe you don't want to use TAA in VR.

I tested both in the unity spaceship demo (imported it to latest beta + github HDRP to be honest both are really good. The benefit of having FSR is, if you want a good upscaler without using TAA. Thankfully in HDRP we have SMAA, which is really good, and in some cases gives better results than TAA without all the blur. TAA is thankfully in a pretty good state now too in HDRP, compared to when it was first introduced. Plus it helps out with some Screen space effects and volumetrics. TAA can still be improved though, last time I've seen the code there were a few TODOS that would improve it further.

To clone github:

I create a new HDRP project using the hub, let it do it's thing until the project is open in the editor and everything is ready. I then close the editor, navigate to the project directory in windows explorer, go to the "Packages" directory and paste the folders (from the cloned repository) into there until it looks like this (I'll add an image). After that, I delete the "Library" folder (it's in the root of your project), then re-open the project (through the hub) and done

the image shows the folders you need to add from the cloned github repo:

You can probably do this to your own project (make a copy of it) if you want to test FSR in it, running latest HDRP beta rather then a fresh template project, and it'll work. Haven't tested it though. This isn't a beta and don't be surprised if it straight up doesn't run or there's errors.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2021
  3. SebLagarde

SebLagarde

Unity Technologies

Hi, FSR should be available in an official Unity beta release for hdrp around early September.

FernandoMK and PutridEx like this.
  4. cxode

cxode

Very good news. Are there official plans to support URP as well?

5. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

FSR support in URP is planned but I can't share any more concrete info at this point. I've asked the team to add an item for it to the roadmap.

It would be helpful if you could submit a request for this on the graphics roadmap page as well.

6. atomicjoe

atomicjoe

We want this for the built-in render pipeline not for SRPs!

tntfoz likes this.
  7. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

yukosan, cxode and atomicjoe like this.
  8. Alterego-Games

Alterego-Games

Last edited: Nov 5, 2022