Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Any hope to have the deferred lighting fixed?

Discussion in '5.3 Beta' started by DFT-Games, Oct 31, 2015.

1. DFT-Games

DFT-Games

shkar-noori likes this.
  2. elbows

elbows

I'm not sure where I heard it (probably a video) but I've got this memory of hearing that they are working on a solution for this for 5.4. If someone knows where this was said or can correct any errors in my memory, I'm all ears!

ArthurT likes this.
  3. ArthurT

ArthurT

In their latest roadmap video they've mentioned the mixed mode fix will come soon, but that's definitely for a much later release, probably 5.4 if we're lucky.

4. pvloon

pvloon

5. DFT-Games

DFT-Games

Oh my... maybe in 5.4??? I wonder... how are people doing with this bug in the way? Legacy path does not support PBS/PBR, and forward path is not good enough by far... are people just giving up the whole PBR thing for now? Or using the horrible projector workaround?

6. Alex-Lian

Alex-Lian

Will confirm that mixed mode fixing will be delayed to 5.4, as the pull request was big enough to be concerning for stability for 5.3. (Note, beta for 5.4 will start in Dec)

7. DFT-Games

DFT-Games

Thanks Alex,
    That pushes our STEAM GreenLight submission from Q4-2015 to Q?-2016 ... therefore the Kickstarter straight into 2017 :( It's honestly depressing... makes me wonder if it was a good idea moving to U5 at all...

8. Alex-Lian

Alex-Lian

I will offer that 5.4 is a bit lighter on expected work, so you may want to assess the beta in Dec to see how you feel about it.

9. DFT-Games

DFT-Games

Hi Alex,

Thanks, I will do that for sure. In case it's stable enough for our game then we'll use the beta to submit on STEAM GreenLight.

10. shkar-noori

shkar-noori

NO!

11. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Same boat here, as it means I have to wait quite a while before this shows up on PS4 :/ oh well. My fault.

12. imtrobin

imtrobin

While on this topic of broken deferred lighting, I would like to suggest to split the rendering and physics layer separately Deferred shading is unusable in a more complicated game setup because it always gives warning of more than 4 layers excluded from light. The physics layers are pretty important in gameplay, and I use about 12 of them in the game.

When I was working on my own engine/other AAA engine, rendering/physics layers are always separate.