Search Unity

Any guides / tutorials for using asset bundles to download expansion files?

Discussion in 'Android' started by Rajmahal, Jun 7, 2021.

1. Rajmahal

Rajmahal

Hi,

I believe the Google play store will be sunsetting the use of .obb expansion files. I think that we're supposed to use Asset Bundles for large games where we need to download additional data. Does anyone have a link to a good tutorial that describes this process and perhaps provides an example project to follow?

2. Clavus

Clavus

I'm wondering the same thing. I'm in the process of porting a Unity 2017 project to Unity 2020, and besides the need to now submit Android App Bundles I saw that we need to utilize the "Play Asset Delivery or Play Feature Delivery" system for delivering larger apps. It seems that this replaces the Expansion File system but there's no clear path of how I'd go about making my app compatible with Play Asset Delivery besides completely restructuring it to use asset bundles (and that's a non-starter).

3. Clavus

Clavus

In the end I found this set of Unity plugins provided by Google: https://github.com/google/play-unity-plugins, the App Bundle plugin has a simple toggle option to use Play Asset Delivery instead of an obb expansion file, without requiring the whole project to be rebuild around asset bundles.

Rajmahal likes this.
  4. Rajmahal

Rajmahal

Thanks for the tip. I'll check it out.