Search Unity

Any good tutorials for a "text-driven" rpg? (more details in thread)

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by enricogp, Jan 2, 2020.

1. enricogp

enricogp

Hi,

I'm a begginer at Unity (I've only created two simple "tutorial" games), and I'm looking for resources to make a text-driven rpg. I'm wanting to make a story-driven game, and I thought that a "rpg book" style would be good. By "rpg book" i mean those books in which you have a interactive story ("if you want to battle the monster, go to page X, if you want to open the door, go to page Y") and some paper rpg mechanincs: You roll a dice for defining your permanent stats or for damage calculations (whenever you or an enemy attack), you have a simple inventory...

I thought this format was ideal, since it allows for storytelling (I'm really looking for making a game with a plot), and it seens very easy to make, since there are only text on the screen + some buttons to advance the story. The problem is that, while there is a lot of tutorials around the internet, most of them are very different from what I'm trying to achieve. Do you guys have any good resources?

I've already succeed in creating the text screens and buttons (though the proccess seens unnecessarily slow, and I'll probably have to resize all texts and buttons when I translate the game to english). I'm having trouble on creating the encounters though (the battle system), and I have no idea where to start looking for. Btw all encounters are planned, none are random. If possible, I'd like to make so that the player control multiple party members, but that's for when I get the hang of it.

Additional question: Will it be hard to create the AI for the monsters, especially for someone who has never done anything close to it? Obvioulsy I'm looking to do something extremelly simple.

2. Bill_Martini

Bill_Martini

You're not going to find something exactly what you're looking for. You'll have to create your own.

But that's not the problem here. You have far too little experience to do this. Completing two simple tutorials does not make you a game developer.

My recommendation for you is to keep working on the tutorials until you feel confident in making a very simple game on your own (no tutorial to guide you). Make several more simple games. They all must be complete working games ready for publishing. Half finished, sort of working games do not count. Once you've done that, go make your game. Keep in mind that your focus should be on learning Unity and basic game making and not learning how to make your game. You'll be a better game developer and your game will be better for it.