Search Unity

Any good cross-platform marker tracker?

Discussion in 'AR/VR (XR) Discussion' started by JoeStrout, Jan 15, 2019.

1. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

I'm looking for a way to track a marker that's maybe 5x10 cm or so in size, from a meter or two away, using an app running on a phone or desktop. (I am happy to use completely artificial markers as needed; I don't care what they look like.)

I've spent too much time today playing with:
    • EasyAR: tracks well when it tracks at all, but too frequently loses the marker even when it remains in plain sight
    • Arcolib: hangs onto the marker better, but doesn't acquire it initially unless it is quite close (~30 cm) to the camera, and its orientation estimation is often way off.
    Are there other options worth exploring? Ideally I'd like something that runs on Mac, Windows, iOS, and Android all from one code base. In a pinch I could give up desktop, and in a real pinch I could use separate code for iOS and Android, but I'd really rather not...

But the most important thing is tracking quality. What's the best, state-of-the-art marker tracker these days?

2. linojon

linojon

Vuforia is the defacto standard, excellent tracking quality, is bundled with Unity (install it via the unity installer). Is there a reason you havent tried that?

3. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

Only that I tried it years ago, and it sucked (both in performance and in licensing terms). Or so I seem to recall. I guess I should give it another look.

4. alikanat

alikanat

I have done some research over augmented reality SDKs and i can say by far vuforia has the best marker tracking. It is fast and accurate. However, i am not so sure about whether it can track a 5x10 cm marker. That is quite small.

5. mgear

mgear

interested on any solutions too..
    few years ago vuforia felt quite shaky, even when using large A3 marker from 2-4 meters away..

6. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

vuforia also isnt the cheapest, its pricing isnt great if you are working in a corporate environment on small applications

7. alikanat

alikanat

Well i can also recommond ARCore. It does not track as fast as Vuforia but its tracking capabilities might be even better. With ARCore you can build for Android and iOS but not for desktop.