Search Unity

Any good 3D movement tutorials?

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by Suomiboy, Oct 6, 2015.

1. Suomiboy

Suomiboy

Hi!
    By good 3D tutorial I don't mean throwing Rigidbody to gameobject, freezing rotations and moving it with something like "transform.position = new Vector3(stuff)" etc, if possible I'd like to see smoother solution :)

I think that I know enough of the basics and 2D stuff so that I could move on to 3D programming.
    I'd like to make movement like in Viewtiful Joe games. In them the game is in 3D, but player can move only to left and right, but there are some "smooth corner turns".. It's hard to explain since English isn't my native language.. The player follows road that goes around an obstacle.(?)

Another example is the bonus stages in Crash Bandicoot 3, the moving platform took Crash to sideview bonus thing and player can only move left or right, but there are also the "smooth corner" thing...

Watch at 10:45 to see "bonus stage" :D

So... Can anyone help me out or give a link to tutorial? :)

PS. I have learned that while making games it is better to make one part work well before adding more features, so my first goal is to get movement working smoothly. After that maybe punching stuff :D (Any good 3D melee hit tutorials?)

Last edited: Oct 6, 2015
  2. tedthebug

tedthebug

You could have a trigger so you can constrain the z axis while the player is on the platform/area where you only want them to move left or right

3. Suomiboy

Suomiboy

Thanks, but I mean that the game is only played left-right, no need to constrain Z. My problem is how to make those automatic turns in that kind of game, for example Viewtiful Joe has a spiral staircase.

4. MurDocINC

MurDocINC

Combination of spline and tween: