Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Any ETA on Physics Joint Authoring components?

Discussion in 'Physics for ECS' started by thelebaron, Feb 1, 2020.

1. thelebaron

thelebaron

It was asked during the q&a for the physics overview talk at Unite(
    ). Don't suppose we could get an update? Looking forward to some more user friendly ways to setup ragdolls.

Games4Stream likes this.
  2. steveeHavok

steveeHavok

Conversion from Legacy Joint components will be in the next release due in the next few weeks.
    Its worth mentioning that the Unity Physics Joints are made up from lower level atomic constraints e.g. linear locks on 2 axes plus linear limit on 3rd axis, plus angular locks would give a higher level Prismatic Joint.
    This means you can build up your own joint; it also means that some of the current 'Legacy' Joints will not necessarily map perfectly.

Orimay, impulse_ctrl and thelebaron like this.
  3. unity_T4fQ0JU7B0A2Pg

unity_T4fQ0JU7B0A2Pg

Hi steveeHavok,
    I want to ask if that conversion will also allow "Use Motor" option.

4. steveeHavok

steveeHavok

This upcoming release of the conversion code will not include motor support, however Joint motors are a priority for the subsequent release.

5. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

Will the upcoming release address both Unity Physics physics bodies and joints not working properly on the conversion workflow unless you use the right combination of tools and settings?

For example right now in case both parent and child gameobjects have physics bodies:

- using Convert To Entity with "Convert and Inject Gameobject" will prevent child gameobjects from getting unparented during conversion
    - using Convert To Entity with "Convert and Destroy" does unparent the rigidbodies properly as well does putting them into DOTS subscene (with DOTS editor package).

When using joint components (here I refer to joint components by the scripts shipped along with Unity Physics samples on the DOTS repository):

- with regular Convert To Entity and outside of DOTS Subscene, joints get properly configured
    - when putting joint components to DOTS subscene, joints are not generated and are fully missing when running the game

btw, looking forward to the joint motor support :)

Last edited: Feb 24, 2020
  6. Nothke

Nothke

What about breakable joints support in the next update @steveeHavok?

thelebaron likes this.
  7. Adam-Mechtley

Adam-Mechtley

Administrator

It won't be available yet in the upcoming release. It's on our near-term roadmap, but no concrete ETA yet

8. impulse_ctrl

impulse_ctrl

Maybe a dumb question but when is the upcoming release expected? Looking forward to working with joints. Last time I tried it out there was a limit of one joint of each type per object, hoping legacy support will help. Thanks :)

9. Adam-Mechtley

Adam-Mechtley

Administrator

It could be any day now. We've just been resolving some failures on consoles.

This limitation is currently dictated by entities (a query for a UnityEngine.Component type will just fail if there are multiples.) The team working on GameObject conversion will do a fix, and then we will update our conversion systems accordingly.

Phong, Games4Stream, PhilSA and 2 others like this.
  10. SteppySteve

SteppySteve

Hi, sorry to revive an old thread, but this seems related.

I'm testing out Project Tiny, which seems to be using the latest Unity Physics, but I can't find any joint authoring components. Am I missing something?

11. Occuros

Occuros

petarmHavok likes this.
  12. Extrys

Extrys

No news about DOTS Joint motors?

jconsole likes this.
  13. milos85miki

milos85miki

No news, sorry. It's on our radar definitely, but can't say anything more. @SeanParkinson should be the first person to know any news.

jconsole likes this.
  14. leon-sunday

leon-sunday

@SuperEnt_Steve yeah I was wondering the same. Seems like it's only in the repository that @Occuros mentioned but that one is using Unity.Physics.Hybrid which I think do not work with Unity.Tiny because it misses Linq.

Please someone correct me if I'm wrong.