Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Feedback Any details available on job-friendly Physics APIs? + Some suggestions

Discussion in 'Physics Previews' started by PhilSA, Jun 3, 2022.

1. PhilSA

PhilSA

I can't find the thread, but it has been mentioned that Unity is working on job-friendly non-DOTS physics APIs (for PhysX)

I'd like to know if any details are available regarding this, such as what we can expect in terms of APIs/features, and what its usage might look like.

----------

I'd also like to take this opportunity to ask for some features to be made available for those APIs:
    1. Allow multiple triangle hits per mesh collider when doing casts/sweeps (as described in the "Multiple Hits" section here)
    2. Give us a direct equivalent of "scene->sweep" and "scene->overlap", which take colliders/shapes as param instead of having specific shape casts. This would allow us to sweep with convex meshes like cylinders (Rigidbody.Sweep() is not usable, due to GC)
    3. Allow initial overlaps to be properly detected when doing casts/sweeps (the PxHitFlag::eMTD flag mentioned here)
    Currently, the lack of all these things makes my life very difficult. It would be a fantastic addition to gain access to all of this.

2. CodeSmile

CodeSmile

LudiKha and PhilSA like this.