Search Unity

Any custom tool needed?

Discussion in 'Open Projects' started by joasus12345, Oct 2, 2020.

1. joasus12345

joasus12345

If anyone needs custom tools to make the dev process easier, let me know the specifics, I could try cooking up something to help with it. I've done some small tools in unity to make, making games easier :p

cirocontinisio likes this.
  2. Neonage

Neonage

Yea, I'm responsible for that too.
    Here's what I've made firstly for this project: https://github.com/neon-age/Smart-Hierarchy

I feel like whats highly important to make is custom prefab placement tools, so level designers would not struggle from manual adjustments on flying rocks :)

cirocontinisio likes this.
  3. Sangemdoko

Sangemdoko

About that. Are we planning to use IMGUI or UIElements for editor windows/custom editors?

I'm a big fan of UIElements, I wrote (and still am writing) some extensive editor tools/custom inspectors with it for the past year and a half. I write it in C# + USS, I avoid using UXML (I think that's the name for the layout scripts).

Any thoughts on that?

I'm guessing as long as we keep things seperate then either way should work out well.

4. Neonage

Neonage

First, we can't always use UI Elements for PropertyDrawers or GUI extensions (as all inspectors are IMGUI).
    And AFAIK, there is no good alternative for ReorderableList.

IMGUI is still good for simple extensions.
    But when your tool needs styles & controls manipulation.. Oh man, it's comes down into complete mess.

UI elements is mandatory in that situation.
    The separation between Styles, Layout and Events makes code super readable and easily extendable.
    But writing USS or UXML by hand requires web skills, I don't like it.

What I like is UI Builder, it's a nice visual editor, but it's still super buggy in latest preview releases and doesn't support loading uxml from packages..

Another problem with default editor elements is that they don't have anti-aliasing! They're looking ugly comparing to IMGUI controls :(

Don't avoid, it gives your layouts reusability

So conclusion:
    UI Elements is great for complex tools, but redundant for simple ones. Not possible for inspector extensions.
    UI Builder is not bug-free yet

hyagogow likes this.
  5. cirocontinisio

cirocontinisio

You mean, you're making one :)

What kind of tools have you made?

kcastagnini likes this.
  6. Neonage

Neonage

My responsibility is to make good ones! :D