Search Unity

Any Counter Strike fanatics out there? What do you think about spread patterns?

Discussion in 'Game Design' started by Not_Sure, Apr 24, 2022.

1. Not_Sure

Not_Sure

I am needing to rework my spreads in an FPS.

As of right now I have it spread randomly independently from the camera and it feels beyond dated.

So I am thinking I want to actually kick the camera back like in counterstrike.

doing some research I have discovered that counterstrike repeats the same spread patterns at the start of every firing.

initially I was thinking I would fix it by kicking the camera and keeping the same random number generator, which is way too complicated to explain here.

but I guess counterstrike repeats the same pattern again and again and there is a certain set of players who enjoy memorizing that pattern.

do you think I should have a repeating pattern, or do you think I should give each shot a vertical and horizontal cake based on those random numbers?

2. r31o

r31o

AFAIK, in Counter Strike the spread is not always the same. There is some position pattern, but the result is always a bit randomized (some small random offset to each point in the patter) and the pattern ends at some point, and then it is all randomized.

I dont think is a good idea to make a (almost) repeating pattern. I will make just the camera rotate up and left/right randomly, but every shoot gets higher recoil.

Not_Sure likes this.
  3. Not_Sure

Not_Sure

That’s what I was initially thinking.

4. r31o

r31o

You could also make that every user can set if they want or not a repeating pattern.

5. Martin_H

Martin_H

Maybe this will give you some ideas:

6. vintage-retro-indie_78

vintage-retro-indie_78

think overall it makes sense to just have ' random ' stuff, however if you want to leave something for the players, make it so everyone 100 is a specific symbol, or letter, and if one finds all say twelve letters, it spells a word that makes sense in the game, that's bit more ' puzzle ' - solving . . .

or, there could be certain shapes that repeat, and one could put together to make an image, or something that makes sense in the stuff, perhaps the face of an important character, or some logo, or otherwise . . . :) :eek: