Search Unity

Any chance of a Mixed Reality version of EditorVR? (2017.2.0f3-MRTP)

Discussion in 'EditorXR' started by SimonDarksideJ, Oct 23, 2017.

1. SimonDarksideJ

SimonDarksideJ

Been excited to try editor VR once I got hold of a headset, yet tried to access Editor VR from 2017.2.0f3 but no joy. using the development branch (about to try the 2017.2.0f3 branch but it's showing behind dev?)

When you switch to UWP and enable XR and start Editor VR, all you get is a black scene and no controllers or input. Or am I missing something?

Last edited: Oct 23, 2017
  2. SimonDarksideJ

SimonDarksideJ

Might have found the issue, there is a dependency on a specific SDK to be installed which prevents start up. (development branch)
    <color=orange>EditorVR requires at least one partner (e.g. Oculus, Vive) SDK to be installed for input. You can download these from the Asset Store or from the partner's website</color>
    UnityEditor.Experimental.EditorVR.Core.EditingContextManager:ShowEditorVR()

Only shows up on the development branch but not on the 2017.2 branch

3. unity_andrewm

unity_andrewm

Unity Technologies

As you can see from the development branch, we have not worked on UWP support in EVR yet. If you are interested in trying to add it in yourself, you can DM me and I can give you some pointers.

4. Shah494

Shah494

Any luck getting the EditorVR/EditorXR working with the windows mixed reality headset platform?
    I'm not sure which SDK would work.

5. victorkin11

victorkin11

I also want to try wmr.

6. scamg

scamg

Hi Guys,

I'm using:
    Win 10 Pro - Version 1709 - Build Version 16299.125
    Unity 2017.3.0f1 - Personal
    EditorVR 0.1.1
    HP Mixed Reality Headset

You can use the Mixed Reality Headset in Editor VR by routing it through SteamVR. It looks like you're holding a Vive controller but it feels okay. I tested everything in an empty scene and it all seemed to work.

Just tried this out and it worked for me:

Get your Mixed Reality headset routed through SteamVR:
    1. Install Steam
    2. Open Steam
    3. Login/Create Account
    4. Download SteamVR
    5. Download Windows Mixed Reality for SteamVR
    6. More detailed help if you need it
    Get your project setup with SteamVR and EdtiorVR
    1. Create new Unity Project "MyNewProject" and open it in your version of Unity
    2. Asset Store => Download and Import TextMeshPro
    3. Asset Store => Download and Import SteamVR Plugin => Accept All of it's recommended settings
    4. Download and Import the EditorVR package of your choice => Accept it's request to patch Input Manager
    5. Edit => Project Settings => Player => XR Settings => Tick "Virtual Reality Supported" => add OpenVR to the list
    6. Optionally: Open/Create a Scene
    7. Window => EditorXR => Hit the "Toggle Device View" Button
    8. Wait while SteamVR launches; which launches Mixed Reality Portal
    9. Put on your headset and pick up your controllers
    10. Edit in VR
    Let me know if this works for your headset too, I'd expect it should.

As a note: Close as much as you can when doing this, as it seems that things get a little CPU hungry.

7. LaraVidor

LaraVidor

I used it with the Medion Erazer, thank you very much, worked fine :)

8. De-Panther

De-Panther

Just wanted to post about it, but saw that @scamg already posted how to use it.

Anyway, here's a screenshot.
    I used Samsung Odyssey, and a laptop that has the minimum requirement for WMR.
    In the past when I used this laptop with Vive, the old versions of EditorVR were crushing when I tried to open menus...

This time it worked better, still had some hiccups, but I could open menus and instantiate some primitives...

upload_2018-1-29_0-2-7.png

9. lilcool

lilcool

I managed to make the controller work once without any modification. But after that the controllers just cant be detected anymore

10. De-Panther

De-Panther

It may be an issue of the "Windows Mixed Reality for SteamVR", sometimes it won't show the controllers in some of the games. It may be the same issue.

11. Deleted User

Deleted User

I just chanced upon EditorVR today and got it working! Amazing times ahead.

De-Panther likes this.
  12. kuskus_

kuskus_

I PMd unity_andrewm and am looking forward to tinkering to get WMR controllers more natively supported. Even just having the controller models represented at scale would be a help; but I think the thumbsticks offer finer controls for the radial menus.
    Using Editor XR, Blocks, Poly Toolkit, and VRTK, one can so very far in creating experiences quickly.