Search Unity

Any benefits using new RPs for a mostly UI mobile board game?

Discussion in 'Universal Render Pipeline' started by roointan, Jun 21, 2021.

1. roointan

roointan

Hello
    I'm working on a board game published to mobile stores (Android and iOS only). On the rendering aspect, the game is mostly UI. There are only one or two 3d models used in game for coins and gems that are not UI.
    We are trying to optimize the game for lower end devices (specially Android).
    I'd been using built-in renderer for this game.
    I'm mostly concerned in performance. Is there any benefit in using new RPs for our game?
    I wanted to do some research about LWRP, and just noticed there is the new URP. Unity is developing fast!
    There might be some benefit if use of Shader Graph is possible for some texture blending.
    So is there any benefits? and what are the pain points?

2. roointan

roointan

I would be grateful if you could help, to whatever extent possible.

3. jiraphatK

jiraphatK

I don't think the URP and Built-in pipeline is going to differ much with just rendering UI. Switching pipeline is not going to give you much performance since a lot of performance optimizations done on URP is mostly not related to UI, AFAIK. You're more likely to get bottleneck by the UGUI system either way. I suggest you to stay on Built-In and optimize your system instead.

roointan likes this.
  4. PutridEx

PutridEx

What jira said sounds about right. I think staying on built-in is just fine.

roointan likes this.