Search Unity

Question Any alternative to create game character by sprite sheet?

Discussion in '2D' started by raining_day0513, Oct 20, 2020.

1. raining_day0513

raining_day0513

Hi, I'm new to Unity, the version of Unity I'm using is 2020.1.8f. My problem is that I just watched a official Unity video(Lost Crypt) about:

1. Importing an image created by Photoshop to be used as a character in the game.

I am a student and Photoshop is not affordable option to me. Regarding this, what other software would you recommend?​

2. After importing a multi-layers Photoshop image into Unity(by something called PSD-importer package), they added skeletons for the sprite(an assassin cat?), which is an astonishing feature to me that it is no need to have a sprite sheet to animate it.

Does this "adding skeleton" feature only work for multi-layer-Photoshoped images? So I cannot, say download a single-layer image online and do the same to animate it? More specifically, would this package/ the Unity engine provide way to automatically "cut the single layer into multi-layer image" for me? If not what software have this feature or this is not recommended, I have to draw it myself: head, body, legs, and so on?
    3. So other than the two methods above: Using sprite sheet, using sprite "skeleton". are there any other recommended way to create a sprite in Unity?

2. raarc

raarc

many people like asesprite for pixel art, alternatively you can use gimp or idraw

you can use skeleton with any sprite, doesnt matter if its from photoshop