Search Unity

Any advice on making a game development portfolio?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by AlanGameDev, Oct 19, 2015.

1. AlanGameDev

AlanGameDev

Hello there.

I'm putting together a portfolio with the hopes of getting some small gamedev works/jobs. I did a lot of freelancing works in the past and since I have five stars on both UpWork (formerly oDesk) and Elance (not gamedev though), I'm going to start with those platforms.

I've been looking specifically for Unity jobs on those platforms but for some reason a considerable number of clients say they prefer the portfolio in video, that's no problem for me because I'm going to make a demo reel of course, but to my surprise I found clients requesting the portfolio in video "so they can trust it's [my] product". After reading that I'm really confused. Perhaps that "video" they mention isn't a demo reel, but a video of the development, because AFAIK a link to a game on an app store is much more reliable than a gameplay video, provided you can somehow verify the account... Any ideas?

Also, I'd like your opinions on if my current "portfolio" is enough to get any job/work online, I'm only looking for small gameplay programming jobs and so far I have the following things worth of showing:
    -My 4 games released on Google play: Eye vs. Pixels (24hs compo), Rescue Racer, Speedy Spheres, Mortal Attack.
    -A 2D building game that was abandoned but is fully playable with 30 levels.
    -A 2D shooting game (Cute Commando) that is on hold, the first world is fully playable with placeholder graphics. I'm planning to record a boss fight since they're epic.
    -A mobile-ready vehicle deformation engine for 2D physics.
    -An endless track generator (complex with banked curves, bumps, variable width, optimized for mobile).
    -A 2D climbing game based on physics.
    -A 2D boxing engine with jelly fighters.
    -A vehicle parts editor/customizer for 3D games. (Mechanical parts with visual feedback, e.g. supports and mechanical transmission of the rear axle of a gokart)
    -Voxel engines in both 2D and 3D. These have lots of features but since I'm going to use them in my upcoming indie game, I'm not good to disclose much, except for the structural analysis.

There is much more stuff but they're either quick prototypes (and I think it's better to keep the list small with the best stuff) or I don't have the permission to show them.

Any words are appreciated. Please be honest. Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2015
    jpthek9 likes this.
  2. AlanGameDev

AlanGameDev

Regarding the 'video', I've contacted them and It's in fact a gameplay video.

By the way, mine is almost ready, here's a 'beta' version. Any feedback is appreciated:

unityunity