Search Unity

Antimalware Service Executable causing Editor slowdown

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by BackgroundMover, Nov 18, 2017.

1. BackgroundMover

BackgroundMover

Does anyone else have problems where the Realtime Protection feature of Windows Defender causes a big performance drop in the Unity editor? I'm using 2017.1, and seemingly randomly the antivirus scan will spin up and use 25% of my CPU

Has anyone else experienced this?

Last edited: Mar 12, 2022
    raghav22355 likes this.
  2. AGSMarcinDraszczuk

AGSMarcinDraszczuk

Noticed this today, will let you know if I find out what's causing it.

3. Baste

Baste

You can set Windows defender to ignore certain folders. Making it ignore Unity's project folders could help.

H-diamondKO and julienkay like this.
  4. sebsmax

sebsmax

I got the same issue Today!
    Unity Editor was unusable even with an empty project (1fps), and Windows Defender (Antimalware service executable) was using 20% of my CPU when Unity window was focused.
    I got it solved by removing the real time protection of Windows defender

Last edited: Nov 25, 2017
  5. AGSMarcinDraszczuk

AGSMarcinDraszczuk

Found out that it was Razer Chroma Unity Plugin causing most of the extra CPU usage. However adding Windows Defender exclusion helped too (had to ignore "Unity.exe" process, just ignoring installation folder and project folder didn't work for me though).

Last edited: Nov 27, 2017
    Shodan0101 likes this.
  6. Valkrysa_Herja

Valkrysa_Herja

Just wanted to note here that I also was having issues with Windows Defender getting really active when Unity was the focused window and particularly in Play Mode. I excluded the project folder and the exe's and it seems to have helped though that's not the ideal solution.

xiangshushu, Shodan0101 and julienkay like this.
  7. metroidsnes

metroidsnes

I had the same problem. For me it was enough to add Windows Defender exception for Unity process and other processes as well.

oAzuehT, Metthatron, yingkai and 3 others like this.
  8. basboi

basboi

... this problem just occured out of nowhere for me. wtf

9. rempelj

rempelj

10. AnomalusUndrdog

AnomalusUndrdog

I'd like to chime in and say, since this happened to me too, excluding Unity.exe from Windows Defender is enough. Excluding your entire Unity project folder is probably not needed.

And I think completely disabling Windows Defender's realtime protection or the whole Windows Defender service is an unnecessarily risky solution.

11. 8bitgoose

8bitgoose

OH MY GOD, this has been driving me INSANE for months. Windows truly has no idea what they are doing with regards to malware.

12. -chris

-chris

Exclusions aside, when a huge performance drop is happening, disabling and re-enabling "Real-time protection" seems to help bring things back to normal levels.

13. 8bitgoose

8bitgoose

@-chris Disabling the real time protection is the same as adding an exception to every program in your computer. I suggest you add a process exception for "Unity.exe". Since I did that, I've had no performance issues.

14. Robdon

Robdon

Just happened to me, could hardly do anything in the editor, was a crawl.

Even restarting Unity didn't help.

Had to put my whole Unity folder as an exception in Windows Defender.

This can't be the solution though, as this is incredibly un-secure :(

15. Baste

Baste

Are you somebody really bad at English that decided to make an account to post random facts, or are you a bot that's grabbing text from a google search that matches the thread title to post virus links?

16. 8bitgoose

8bitgoose

@Baste You shamed the poster into deleting their message!

17. Baste

Baste

Probably got yanked by a mod :p

18. 8bitgoose

8bitgoose

Probably. I came here to see the post and only saw yours. I thought, Robdon's english sounds fine. (This problem still sucks real bad though).

19. alexerd

alexerd

Hello Vestigial, you need to resolve the antimalware service executable that is the reason for Editor's slowdown. This can be sorted out by Disabling Windows Defender. You can go for more solutions by https://appuals.com/how-to-fix-high-cpu-usage-by-antimalware-service-executable-msmpeng/ tapping this link. To do that you need to tap Windows Key + R to open the Run Dialog Box where you are supposed to write regedit and tap OK to open the Registry Editor. Now in the navigation pane just double click the folders to direct to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows Defender. In case you find a registry entry named DisableAntiSpyware, then double click it and set its value data to 1.

20. 8bitgoose

8bitgoose

@alexerd That is a real bad idea. You just need to add exceptions for Unity.exe. I think I posted what to add exceptions above.