Search Unity

Anticipating Player Actions

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by denali95, Dec 27, 2022.

1. denali95

denali95

I'm working on a 3d FPS boss rush game and I'm trying to come up with some unique ways to make each boss feel intelligent and responsive. An idea I had was to create some way of logging different player actions and creating a profile on them, and then using it to control Ai action (for example, player has been shooting at the boss for most of the last 30 seconds, so they are on the "Offensive", and the boss will deploy countermeasures and try to get behind the player for a sneak attack). Is there anything like this that gets utilized in other games?

2. Murgilod

Murgilod

Yeah, this is basically just the same sort of decision table process that fighting games have used since the 90s. That said, if you want ways to make things appear dynamic and responsive to the player, it's worth looking into how FEAR handled its AI. Despite the fact that the game being nearly 18 years old, it's still a high standard in first person shooter AI.

https://alumni.media.mit.edu/~jorkin/gdc2006_orkin_jeff_fear.pdf

Here's a PDF that explains in a good amount of detail how it handles things.

angrypenguin and denali95 like this.